SER cable uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleson

I have an assisted living home additon to wire. The exisitng building has a drop ceiling below the trusses. I want to run a 4/0 SER cable above this drop ceiling with proper supports. The inspector is unsure if I can do this although the space is full of romex expose. Any thoughts or suggestions. I've read 338, 334 in the NEC but I can't find a clear cut answer on whether this is OK. Need some expert advise.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome.

You will definitely find advice here... unsure how "expert" it is :D

IM, non-expert,)0 338,10(B)(4) would lead you to 334.12(A)(2) which would prohibit SE or NM above a drop or suspended ceiling in other than one and two family dwellings.

Finding it there on an existing install is not at all surprising :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with gus. Not compliant but with all the other stuff the authority having jurisdiction may allow it--

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I have an assisted living home additon to wire. The exisitng building has a drop ceiling below the trusses. I want to run a 4/0 SER cable above this drop ceiling with proper supports. The inspector is unsure if I can do this although the space is full of romex expose. Any thoughts or suggestions. I've read 338, 334 in the NEC but I can't find a clear cut answer on whether this is OK. Need some expert advise.

I guess I would have to ask......would you be able to get the Type SE-R Cable up into the trusses rather than the space between the trusses and the suspended (dropped) ceiling?.....If you can you might approach that position with the local AHJ and see if they will overlook Section 334.12(A)(2) and consider that space outside of the suspended ceiling space....it may be worth a shot for you even if it sounds like this building would not meet 334.10(3) as well due to the ceiling not being 15 minute finish rated...but they do make tiles that can give you that rated.

Always worth a question to the AHJ and see how he/she might interpret it...but indeed Type MC would be your best choice to avoid any issues ( unless as stated 517 comes into play anywhere).

Status
Not open for further replies.