Sub-floor stapling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

subtract the thickness of the subfloor from 1 1/4", that's how far down you are supposed to be. if they are putting down any kind of subflooring or old fashioned wood slat flooring, you would be a fool to put your wire up that close to the subfloor (imo) by the way, since you don't appear to be an electrical inspector, what kind of inspector are you ?

iwire

Staff member
subtract the thickness of the subfloor from 1 1/4", that's how far down you are supposed to be.

Not so sure about that, when we run it parallel with framing members we must be 1.25" from the nearest edge of the farming member, not the surface.

So I am pretty sure code wise we could staple NM to the subfloor right down the middle of the bay staying back 1.25" from the joists.

There is no way I would do that but I do not think you will find a direct violation.

JFletcher

No, that is not what 300.4 says.

I'm confused then: if installed by 300.4(D), as a result wouldn't there be a 1.25" or more gap between the bottom of the subfloor and the near edge of the romex? Or are you saying there can be a smaller gap because of places where nails aren't likely to penetrate the wires?

iwire

Staff member
I'm confused then: if installed by 300.4(D), as a result wouldn't there be a 1.25" or more gap between the bottom of the subfloor and the near edge of the romex? Or are you saying there can be a smaller gap because of places where nails aren't likely to penetrate the wires?

What I am saying is that 300.4(D) requires the NM to be no closer then 1.25" from the edge of the farming member, not the floor. That being the case as long as you stay 1.25" away from the framing member you could staple to the sub-floor.

The measurement is based on the distance to the joist not the distance to the any part of the floor.

JFletcher

What I am saying is that 300.4(D) requires the NM to be no closer then 1.25" from the edge of the farming member, not the floor. That being the case as long as you stay 1.25" away from the framing member you could staple to the sub-floor.

The measurement is based on the distance to the joist not the distance to the any part of the floor.

Ah, I understand what you are saying. Thank you for the correction.

Johnmcca

334.15(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor.

Where was the mention in the OP of the possibility of physical damage? Or is all NM that is exposed subject to physical damage?

nakulak

334.15(b) protection from physical damage. Cable shall be protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, schedule 80 pvc conduit, or other approved means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic tubing, schedule 80 pvc conduit, or other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.) above the floor.

Where was the mention in the op of the possibility of physical damage? Or is all nm that is exposed subject to physical damage?

334.17 ->300.4 d

Status
Not open for further replies.