Need help pulling power to a cnc machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnask8man1

Hi, I am going to be pulling power to a cnc machine. It has a 17 horse vacuum motor, which i believe the information says it draws 57 amps at 208. There is also a smaller spindle motor that is claimed to take 21 amps including the stepper. All I am responsible for is bringing power in for it. I have 480 and 208. I would prefer to use 480 for the 17 horse for easier wire pulling and installing. I am not sure if the control circuit is compatible with that I think it has a control transformer but not entirely sure. Please let me know what all is required for code with this setup between the panel and the machine such as emergency disconnects etc. I will give more information if needed whatever I have. Here are some pictures of what i have. image(1).jpg image(2).jpg image(3).jpg image(4).jpg image(5).jpg panel for 17 hp image(6).jpg image(7).jpg image.jpg

Dnask8man1

image.jpg here is the information on it. Everything calls for 208. Thats fine but i would prefer to use 480 for the bigger one if possible. The panel with a vfd in it there is for the spindle and stepper. the one with the motor starter is for the 17 hp motor
photo.jpg

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As a maintenance electrician this is not something you should be wiring, IMHO

I don't have a problem with a maint electrician wiring it but the profile also adds the word "trainee". That implies to me that a certain amount of direct supervision by a knowledgable person is in order.

You might be able to economically adapt it to 480V but most likely it will have to be wired with 208V.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Everything calls for 208. Thats fine but i would prefer to use 480 for the bigger one if possible.
The panel with a vfd in it there is for the spindle and stepper. the one with the motor starter is for the 17 hp motor

pin router? most CNC small routers and the like are 208. and, you are going to have to supply them
with 208 most likely.

i've done an awful lot of cnc hookups, both machine shops and wood shops. most of this stuff is 208,
'cause if its a 480 main connection, you can't sell it to someone with a 208 volt shop, unless they put
a transformer backwards to drive it. i've done a lot of that as well.

i've only ran into a handful of cnc machines where you can select the input voltage between 208 and 480,
and i'll bet a cheeseburger your's won't be one of those.

welcome to the forum, btw....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't have a problem with a maint electrician wiring it but the profile also adds the word "trainee". That implies to me that a certain amount of direct supervision by a knowledgable person is in order

And I agree, so we will, close this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.