bond/grounding medical grade mc cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

klucas

how should the bare wire and the ground be terminated at a plug with hosp. grade mc cable/green mc 12-2

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just cut it off even with the sheath, it does not have to be connected to anything.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Like Roger said just cut it off. It performs the same function as the bonding strip in type AC HCFC.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Roger and Rob

HCFMCAPCableInstall.gif

peter d

I agree with Roger, Rob and Bob. :D

Though I would clarify that you do NOT cut off the green insulated EQUIPMENT GROUNDING wire, only the bare BONDING conductor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What about wraping it around the set screw? It couldn't hurt!
True, but it ain't necessary. The purpose of the bare conductor is to "shunt" the spiral wraps of the sheath, so they can't behave as the coil of an inductor during faults.

(Besides, the bare wire could increase the diameter of the cable enough to hamper correct insertion into connectors.)

That's important because the inductance could raise the impedance of the fault-current pathway enough to prevent proper OCP operation and/or to cause sheath heating.

iwire

Staff member
Not to mention it would look unprofessional as if it were installed by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I'm having a flashback to the bonding bushings on NM cable thread. :)

I agree with you 100%, I will never forget opening a 42 circuit panel loaded with all 12/2 AC cables, the 16 AWG bonding strip was brought in from each cable and landed on a grounding bar. It looked like heck and I assumed the person that did it had no experience with commercial work.

TwinCitySparky

Or he confused it with the MC lite installation instructions which suggest that you may treat the 12G bonding strip like an EGC as long as the terminal is listed for aluminum.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.