violations everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

was asked to take over a residential project (getting common these days) previous electrician ran flex along attic space of garage from 200a main panel @ garage ( separate structure), to emt which goes underground and comes out underneath crawl space of main house up to a panel board in laundry no main cb, no ufer, 3 wire with ground bushings
I doubt I will touch this job due to all the other mistakes like twist all grounds no crimps, 3 inch wire out of j boxes, wago connectors for all j boxes etc.
wanted to inform owner correctly on what seems to be a violation for the following
#1 Is EMT permited under ground?
#2 can flex be used as a suitable ground path?
#3 shouldn't there be a main breaker in sub panel?
#4 wouldnt a ufer or ground rod be required at both structures?

TIA

Charlie Bob

#1 - yes, as long as is protected. 358.10(B)

#2 - not in that situation. look at 250.118

#3 - i want to say no. But somebody else here could verify this for me.

#4 - both buildings require Grounding Electrodes

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Answer is dependant on the Code cycle. 225.32 requires a disconnecting means in any event but prior to '08 it would need a main as a L&A panel.
In '08 it could be the "six breaker" rule.

cadpoint

Why are U worried if your not going to do the Work aren't U saying no? No ? :)

What is the owners legal recourse in this matter?

Is their State or Local recourse, what does it matter to the previous electricain?

What was it, someone thought they knew something and they went along till now(you don't have to tell us).

BIG, not that I'm in your postion or even saw what U did, But...
Is that the real dis-taste to the work ?

WOW, there's millions of homes out there that need work, this one really needs an electrician to work on it!

If you can see all the Work? Why not write it in to test everything, or replace, fix, service, re-install, install, and wholesale correct anything that is wrong. Write it up adding the pita factor, and and have a contract!
If the works that good for you, more poor to ya!

I'd say that some here are just rubbing there hands saying, "T & M" ...
Yah, Yah ~ It's still Work! :grin:

Ok... like there's a crowd around this soap box!!!
:cool:

480sparky

I get asked a lot to 'take over' or 'finish' another electricians' work (and I use the word electrician loosely in this sense!)

Work is work, and I get paid for it. As much as I'd like to do nothing but easy work, jobs like this still pay the bills. I just bid it heavy and loaded with a lot of contract clauses to CMA.

If I get the job, fine. I make money, and that's the name of the game. If I don't, someone else will lose money and I don't care about them.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
BMWnut,

, 3 inch wire out of j boxes, wago connectors for all j boxes etc.
what is wrong with wagos and 3 inch wire??? /quote]

see 300.14 and it will become clear....crystal clear:)

iMuse97

BMWnut,

, 3 inch wire out of j boxes, wago connectors for all j boxes etc.
what is wrong with wagos and 3 inch wire??? /quote]

Yes, but the chapter 9 Table of Exceptions :grin: clearly says that using Wagos allows one to disregard 300.14. :roll:

Seriously, I'd think that they used the Wagos because they trimmed the wire so short, or always trim it that short because they know they're going to use Wagos. I don't think that is a good idea, however--to disregard code.

iwire

Staff member
BMWnut,

3 inch wire out of j boxes, wago connectors for all j boxes etc.
what is wrong with wagos and 3 inch wire???

Here is what Mike Holt has to say about this in the July EC&M

Q. We cut our wire too short in a few outlet boxes so I spliced on a couple inches of conductor to make sure I had the required 6 in. of free conductor at each location. The inspector says the free conductor must be "unspliced." Is he right?

A. No, he is not. He is correct that the NEC requires at least 6 in. of free conductor be available from the point in the box where the conductors enter the enclosure [300.14]. However, nowhere in this rule does it require that the free length of conductor be unspliced.

http://ecmweb.com/nec/code_qa/stumped-by-the-code-20090701/

Status
Not open for further replies.