Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Customer's electric bill spiked from 500 to 1100 bucks. There not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
    I would have sold him one of those power saver gizmo's that we all know to be baloney.....:grin: Sounds like an easy sale.....
    Man, Mike, you beat me to it!

The Power Saver 1200!
    LOL!!
    -Todd-

-Delawhere?

Shock Me, Make Me Feel Better.

Don't forget the water heater or a hot water leak.

Recently went on a call for a higher than normal bill. Found the pressure switch on the well tank was sticking closed. The well pump was running constantly.

I also had one a few years ago and I found nothing. The HO could not get the poco to replace the meter. Not sure if that would have made a difference. I doubt it. But I do know that when I was there the glass was somehow shattered on the meter. :confused: They got a new meter. Not sure if that made any difference in the long run.
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Don't forget the water heater or a hot water leak.
    Yes, check that out. A customer of mine that bought a house I wired told me they were having to replace the flooring in the living room due to water damage. The house has two 50gal water heaters. 1 feeds the 2 upstairs baths, the other feeds the kitchen, laundry room and master bath. She said that there elect. bill went up very high for two months. Then they noticed the hardwood flooring in the living room buckling. They called the flooring guy and as soon as he saw it he knew it was being caused by water. He went to the crawl space door and looked in. An elbow on the water heater that feeds the upstairs had cracked and had been spraying up onto the sub floor for two months. They have no kids so they never knew there was no or little hot water upstairs. $30,000.00 later the plumbers ins. co was not happy.
    Organized people are people that are just too lazy to look for their stuff

Look at usage as sugested in the above responses.

I think I read somewhere that 1000-1200KWH/month is about average, for the average sized home.

As stated above, check the elements in the hot water tank and for any underground wiring leakage.

Is this a residential or commercial customer ? If it's commercial they could be getting charged for peak demand. I'll let some of the POCO workers jump in here and explain how that rip-off works.

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    Is this a residential or commercial customer ? If it's commercial they could be getting charged for peak demand. I'll let some of the POCO workers jump in here and explain how that rip-off works.
    It is only perceived as a rip-off by those who don't understand demands and/or have been exposed to a poor rate design.

The demand is a measure of how fast you take delivery of energy. For example, to take fast delivery of a product you would have to buy a bigger truck.

To later complain that it is unfair to pay the higher finance charge for the bigger truck that you don't use to its full potential all the time is unrealistic.

If you don't want to buy the big truck, then you will need a more efficient delivery schedule.
    BB+/BB=?

Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    It is only perceived as a rip-off by those who don't understand demands and/or have been exposed to a poor rate design.

The demand is a measure of how fast you take delivery of energy. For example, to take fast delivery of a product you would have to buy a bigger truck.

To later complain that it is unfair to pay the higher finance charge for the bigger truck that you don't use to its full potential all the time is unrealistic.

If you don't want to buy the big truck, then you will need a more efficient delivery schedule.
    Mivey, that's a great analogy, well stated and well thought out. Now, if we could stay with that analogy for a moment, if I needed a fast delivery why is my only choice to buy a big truck ? Why couldn't I rent a bigger truck for the short time that I needed it, pay a premium up front and not have to pay finance charges for a month, a year or forever ? I'm not opposed to POCO's making money for their services. I'm opposed to them bagging a customer forever just because they needed a few more KW's than usual one day last June. I'm also opposed to their not making a peak demand rate schedules public. If I charge a customer for work I've done I have to justify my charges.

I thought the reason for peak demand rates was because the poco has to have the capacity to meet that demand at any time for the next time the customer loads the supply? generators, transformers, wire sizes, etc.