Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Recessed Cans/High Hats WAGO's

• I use them.

Votes: 55 67.9%
  • I do not use them.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I use them on the ground only.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I am so cheap, I cut them out and save them for something else.

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I told a guy I found the tan twister to be the best all around wire nut.
That's what the tan twister makers want you to think. They're more expensive.

I thought I insulted his mother.
:grin:

He said, "you cant beat a red wire nut. I've been using yellow and red wire nuts for 20 years, why change".
I gotta agree. I've never been a one-size-fits all kinda guy. I use little oranges, yellows, and reds.

I am thinking there is a little bit of Autism in all of us.;)
"Yeah, I'm an excellent electrician, I'm an excellent electrician, but only on Tuesday, yeah, only on Tuesday."

iwire

Staff member
It's cool to know who is so cheap to cut out the wago to reuse in another, more profitable, application.:roll:

That was me.:grin:

I am not comfortable with using wagos for full current applications yet. I will let you guys get the bugs worked out of them first.:cool:

But I am cheap so instead of throwing them out I saved them from a few hundred cans and used them for ballast swaps.

peter d

I usually use little blue wirenuts for that.

Now, if they made self-stripping Wagos ... !

CODE VIOLATION! CODE VIOLATION! ;)

If you look carefully you'll notice the small blue wirenuts are only rated for 300 volts. The open circuit voltage of fluorescent ballasts, electronic or magnetic, is way over that.

This is a common situation, admittedly, and I used the small blue wirenuts myself for ballast replacements myself in the past. But then I saw the light so I started using the orange ones. ;)

iwire

Staff member
Probably another reason to use these

crimp_connector_pre-insulated_ideal.jpg

These are rated 600V but some high output ballasts are closer to 800 volts.

nakulak

geez do I feel like an idiot. thanks for the link Peter. like others, I assumed wirenuts were almost all 600v. wow

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Just hearing that uncomfortably loud arcing inside switchboxes when they're employed. If they can't carry a switchleg, then they can't carry one in the ceiling, IMO. It goes back to your full-circuit exclusion you mentioned above.

220/221

I was suspect at first but I have seen no failures after several thousand installations. It's a good product and a great idea.

If they would do something about the flimsy can construction and the way the lampholder and trims are mounted I'd feel better about installing them.

scwirenut

FACT: If you are having wago problems its because you are not installing them correctly, just as you would and have had wirenut failures, improper installation. I have used these and the Ideal clear "Insure"s exclusively over nuts for 4 years with zero failures. I guess Im a true hypocrite using "scWirenut" as my user name....hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.