Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRRRR! pipes froze heat tape on PEX???

BRRRR! pipes froze heat tape on PEX???

My water lines froze - remodel pex lines are ran up the north wall- Tried this/Tried that, I ended up cuttung a holesaw in the lower part of the wall and blowing a hairdryer in the wall.
    HELLO Northen boys-- Is there any type of heat-tape rated for PEX?? can you run it inside of a finnished wall. 100year old Wood on the exterior and drywall/plaster on the inside.??

Usually, the piping is inside the insulation envelope. You may want to re-route the piping.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rt66electric View Post
    .........Is there any type of heat-tape rated for PEX?? .......

I'm no expert, but I think any self-regulating heat tape would work. How hot do you think it gets.... 300°?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Run the pipes on the inside of the room, not in the wall. Insulation keeps the heat away just as well as it it keeps the cold out.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Run the pipes on the inside of the room, not in the wall .
    That sounds attractive.
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by rt66electric View Post
    My water lines froze - remodel pex lines are ran up the north wall- Tried this/Tried that, I ended up cuttung a holesaw in the lower part of the wall and blowing a hairdryer in the wall.
    HELLO Northen boys-- Is there any type of heat-tape rated for PEX?? can you run it inside of a finnished wall. 100year old Wood on the exterior and drywall/plaster on the inside.??

This may be crazy but I'll give it a go. It's called "google"

http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html
    There are two kinds of people - those smart enough to know they don’t know, and those dumb enough to insist they do.-----Margery Eagan

Open shop since 1988

Nice link Scott, the last plumber I worked with swore by it, and explained that
    he's seen this expand near twice the OD and no bust. He explained about all of the following, from your link!

Is the thermal expansion/contraction of PEX a problem?

No. While PEX expands more than other plumbing materials, directional changes made with the tubing and some slack in the tubing during installation accommodate the expansion and contraction of the system if properly installed.

Is PEX freeze-break resistant?

PEX piping is freeze damage resistant and can expand and contract as water freezes and thaws within the tubing. No tubing material is freeze-break proof, however, and PEX should be installed using the same locally-prescribed insulation requirements to prevent freezing of any plumbing system.

How do I thaw PEX lines?

When water freezes inside PEX tubing, it can be thawed using a hair dryer, warm wet rags or heat tape, taking care not to overheat the tubing beyond the maximum recommended temperature.
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
    That sounds attractive.
    Looks good from here.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Looks good from here.
    Translation: "Can't see it from my house."
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Did they insulate your new pex? If it is in an exterior wall with not insulation directly on the pex it was not legally installed. On the bright side, if it was CPVC, copper, or galvanized, youd have busted pipes right now.

c2500
    Never ask "What else can go wrong?"