26KV transmission clearance to cell tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectric777

Hey Guys, I hope there's an engineer or poco tech in here that can answer this question. I cant find in the NEC,NESI,NFPA a chart that tells me how far away can a cell phone tower be installed to a set of 26kv 3ph transmission lines. Right now the lines are mounted on insulators about 6 feet out from the metal, grounded and conductive poles they mount on. About 20 feet away or so on private property they are putting a tower up. I dont care about RF problems just a chart per kv / ft or "a rule of thumb " anything at this point. An engineer with the poco said 16 feet, so I'm thinking for every 1.8 kv they want a foot..... ?:cool: what do you guys say.....

jbelectric777

nec article 110 over 600V states "in no case does the article pertain to conductors on the line side of a service" i take that to mean "transmission" its poco owned and not subject to AHJ (me) and it reverts back to electrical life safety C2 2002 part II which is part of all the NFPA books. for now im just gonna go by the table (which im not supposed to) but say 15 feet (as if an imaginary fence was built to the top of the tower and the conductors were primary metered ) or say the actual tower is the fence..... i have all the nfpa books at work but in the meantime if anyone has a solid answer i appreciate it. i'll keep checking back to see. thanks in advance....

boboelectric

Hey Guys, I hope there's an engineer or poco tech in here that can answer this question. I cant find in the NEC,NESI,NFPA a chart that tells me how far away can a cell phone tower be installed to a set of 26kv 3ph transmission lines. Right now the lines are mounted on insulators about 6 feet out from the metal, grounded and conductive poles they mount on. About 20 feet away or so on private property they are putting a tower up. I dont care about RF problems just a chart per kv / ft or "a rule of thumb " anything at this point. An engineer with the poco said 16 feet, so I'm thinking for every 1.8 kv they want a foot..... ?:cool: what do you guys say.....

I say the cell phone company has this all under control.

jbelectric777

thanks for all the advice guys (and gals if any) anyway, to answer the last question posted as to my "interest" lol NONE !!!!! lol none now whatsoever... my boss (construction official) had got a call late friday about a cell tower that he wanted a "stop work order" issued, the guy was a poco engineer and i told my boss the utility and their transmission was not our jurisdiction, as far as the SWO i took it down and told the owner of the property its no big deal, i didnt even know whats going on but my CO issued a temp SWO on the tower erection (ha ha, he said erection) anyway, i told em continue on all the rest of the work til i saw what this guys problem was, so the electrical contractor kept working... then my boss comes in my office pissed off because a lawyer called about the SWO i told em again, its poco owned, pulled out NFPA 70E (electrical safety code) annex "N" still, there are no tables or clearances pertaining to poco transmission, its all in their rules book and besides that planning and zoning is responsible to notify any party with an interest within 200 feet, the friggin transmission lines arent even on the site plan!!! AC electric screwed up and in the end when i cornered the guy on speaker phone he said he had his required 16 feet of clearance and i abated the SWO faster than my dog can scarf down a cookie treat!!! so all is well and good now and it apperars someone at the poco just wanted to feel important for a day........the part that pisses me off is being questioned on "how did this get by plan review" i was peed bigtime, all i have on a PR is the drawing for the lateral service, grounding bonding etc, you know its just an underground service im not an asshole when it comes to PR and i dont go out to sites when i do review either, ya know how much time that would take!!.... i will say this tho, if i was out there before they poured the towers foundation i would have noticed the lines, i mean c'mon its not rocket science, i think my CO was more mad at himself for even getting involved and asking me in the first place....... and one more question to my fellow newjersians out there, did ya's get out and vote? i did........ still time.....jim

JayP

enjoy the thought that the tower will most likely experience RFI from buzzing insulators & noising ground loops for years to come...

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
enjoy the thought that the tower will most likely experience RFI from buzzing insulators & noising ground loops for years to come...

Has anyone in here seen the cell antennas mounted ON the poco high voltage towers?
They are everywhere around here.
I don't think RFI is a problem. If it was they wouldn't be mounting their antennas on the poco towers.

wshoard

I saw a bunch of those on the way back to BWI to catch my flight last week. First thought I had was, well Boss, if you really want that connector changed, start clibmimg! :grin:

jbelectric777

here yet i found out yesterday its a 260KV not a 26KV..... the guy wants 20 feet and the tower guy has to move the foundation 12 inches further away...
remember that saying "we do it nice because we do it twice" o geez, what a hassle.........:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.