protection of UG feeders from meter socket to panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviechia2

I have a residential application where I am piping from meter socket to my panel that is 20' into the middle of basement. I piped underneath the concrete floor to my electric panel where the only exposed pipe is the 3' below the panel. I believe that I can run a 3 wire from meter to panel and that this does not have to be protected by a breaker. I am basing this on 230.6 (1) conductors considered outside of building

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I agree with you. The service entrance conductors are considered "outside the building" when run under the concrete floor of a building. It seems to me that you have meet the requirements of 230.70(A)(1) and the panel in the basement would qualify as the service disconnecting means.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
although I agree with Chris, what you have now is two opinions :)
Unfortunately 230.70 does not give specific measurements. Acceptability of you install may be effected by local jurisdiction's opinions and possibly POCO rules, so I would suggest checking.

raider1

Staff member
Your right Gus, there may be a problem with the 3' of raceway from the floor to the panel if the AHJ has a very strict interpretation of 230.70(A)(1) it would be best to check with them.

Chris

Steviechia2

Seems there shouldn't be a difference if I ran it from the meter to panel with 6' of seu through the sill and down, or up 3' from my application? if you go by the 230.6(1) Article ?

raider1

Staff member
230.70(A)(1) is very subjective. The term "nearest the point of entrance" is vague and some AHJ's can take that to mean that the service disconnecting means must be at the exact point the service entrance conductors enter the building.

There are some jurisdictions that have a written policy that permits a specific distance, such as 5 feet, that the conductors may enter a building before the service disconnecting means must be installed.

Chris

Steviechia2

Yes I will have to ask him. I guess my argument will be. Since my underground is considered outside, when it penetrates through the floor- this should be considered inside.(the point of entrance)

electricmanscott

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. The inspectors in our area are pretty reasonable for the most part. What town is this in?

By the way welcome to the forum. Good to see more local guys here.

Steviechia2

Hi Scott, It's in the town of Webster. He already wanted me to change my conduit up the pole from shedule 80 to rigid. I wanted a code violation and he said it was a local code. I didn't ask for the town approval. I just complied to make things go easier.

electricmanscott

Hi Scott, It's in the town of Webster. He already wanted me to change my conduit up the pole from shedule 80 to rigid. I wanted a code violation and he said it was a local code. I didn't ask for the town approval. I just complied to make things go easier.

Don't think I know the inspector there.

He should call the State and see if he is allowed to make up local rules as he sees fit.

I just looked at National Grids green book. I see no requirement for metal conduit up the pole.

How difficult would it be to encase the 3ft of raceway up to the panel.

When we have raceways encased because of entry into the building, we have them encase it to the enclosure.
They are pouring concrete to repair the floor...aren't they?

electricmanscott

To the op. I just talked to a state investigator. Apparently he's the guy who would have the answers to these kind of questions.

In short he says cities and towns can make up bylaws regarding code. However if you challenge them and bring the state into it they can shoot them down.

So really it is supposed to be statewide code uniformity but that isn't always the way it goes.

Hey Charlie are you reading this??

Status
Not open for further replies.