Generator under a deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am inspecting an installation where a 20kw Koehler LP generator set was installed approximatelty
5ft from the structure. After the installation, the builder constructed a wooden outdoor deck
(attached to the house) over the generator.
My first thoughts would be that this would be a violation of a Building/Fire Code.
(I am trying to obtain a mfg. install manual)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Found this on a generac site

All standby generator clearance requierments are dicated by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code 37. They must be a minmum of five feet from any openings in the walls (i.e., doors,windows, sealed windows. etc.) The minmum distance from the top of the unit is also five feet. Our air-cooled home standby generators require a minmum of 18 inches of clearance from the backside of the generator (where the electric and gas inlets are located) and a minmum of 36 inches of clearance on all other sides (intake ,exhaust and from front side). This does not apply to the 7kW CorePower TM Series. Generac liquid-cooled home standby generators, as well as CorePower Series and portable units, require a minimum of 36 inches of clearance from any non-combustible surfaces (i.e., concrete, brick, etc.) and a minimum of 60 inches from any combustible surfaces (i.e., vinyl siding , wood. etc.).

wtucker

The other question, besides combustible building materials, is Where are the exhaust gases going to go? My 7kV Generac also said it had to be 60" from windows or other building openings for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.