Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Electrical Plan and Electrical Layout

Difference between Electrical Plan and Electrical Layout

Confused about the two name,do they have the same or another meaning?

Thank you.

God Bless...
    Ed

Probably the same. Plan is a top view. Riser is often a side view.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

I think it is a just word play, and bad at that.

Depending on a what exactly one is presenting should be called out according! JMO.

A plan could be alot of things, Site plan, floor plan, arrangement plan, englarge arrangement plan. but it truely, "Here's the plan encompassing the project".

A Reflected Ceiling Plan is as I was told at an Job (another life) was looking up not down from the floor called out.

The grey area is yes your looking down on an electrical plan!

A Single Line Diagram might get also be incorrectly called a Riser Diagram, but a Riser Diagram can done in with single line work, and notation...

A Single Line generally shows the internal aspects of the the wired application, a Riser is the bulk materail that has the objects connected!

I didn't even get in to sectional elevation (this is your line of sight) cut, Elevations, Section, Bubble's... etc

Clear as Mud ? ¿

Enjoy
    Last edited by cadpoint; 01-17-10 at 09:58 PM.
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Maun View Post
    Confused about the two name,do they have the same or another meaning?

Thank you.

God Bless...
    Well a electrical plan is your contract drawnings by engineer and a electrical layout is your cad drawnings or construction drawnings Bim drawnings which show how you are going to do your underground or over head your actual layout of cordinated work of conduit routes and racks or raceways .

Which is something a electrical engineer cant do electricians only do layout work . Meaning we use the electrical plan and then route our conduits because a engineer doesnt do that for us.

We take each conduit to and from each electrical room and figure how we can get it from point a to point b the electrical plan only shows it on a oneline riser we must find the location to and from.

Love me some CAD 2010 and some BIM. Also navisworks.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmhead View Post
    Well a electrical plan is your contract drawnings by engineer and a electrical layout is your cad drawnings or construction drawnings Bim drawnings which show how you are going to do your underground or over head your actual layout of cordinated work of conduit routes and racks or raceways .
    The OP asked for clear defination of a title of a drawing, it doesn't take an engineer to make a bad drawing or a bad title, your statement is out of bounds to clearify any aspect of a discipline does to a drawings title, come on.

Which is something a electrical engineer cant do electricians only do layout work . Meaning we use the electrical plan and then route our conduits because a engineer doesnt do that for us.
    I've had many conversations with an EE, he could care less of an electrican's route. If there paying attention minus value engineering, get'r done.

If they want to pay for Routing most clients don't, then go with the plan, or don't unless someone said Don't scale this Plan, otherwise do something of whats required and as is presented, then pay attention to the plan, arragement or detail, and read the notes...
    Last edited by cadpoint; 01-17-10 at 10:46 PM.

Well Cadpoint at our work place which is electrical construction we call a electrical plan a engineered contract drawning and a electrical layout is ours so whats your point . Our layout is CAD and BIM 3 d drawnings And we use a trimble to do our field points for all electrical layout from Auto cad .

Thats the way i see it contract drawnings are just a set of electrical plans we look at them correct them and revise them for the engineers then we layout our work to build it our way after all ther mistakes are found .

Thats about how i see it the OP asked a question and we answered it .

If you look at his profile hes a CAD tech so i think he knows what CAD is .

Well Cadpoint at our work place which is electrical construction we call a electrical plan a engineered contract drawning and a electrical layout is ours so whats your point . Our layout is CAD and BIM 3 d drawnings And we use a trimble to do our field points for all electrical layout from Auto cad .

Thats the way i see it contract drawnings are just a set of electrical plans we look at them correct them and revise them for the engineers then we layout our work to build it our way after all ther mistakes are found .

Thats about how i see it the OP asked a question and we answered it .

If you look at his profile hes a CAD tech so i think he knows what CAD is .
    I don't care what your Drawings Title again the subject is the exact title of a drawing. How there are presented is a whole nother matter CAD drawings, or otherwise.

There is basically from an "engineered" IE paid for, Documents;
    Design deveolop drawing DD's, Contract contruction, CC's and Contract Documents(Record Copy)CD's. Great

Maybe I got it order wrong per the initials ...

It is a three step process from an "Engineered" stand point, there are many variable of what a client wants and needs, and will pay for.
    Last edited by cadpoint; 01-17-10 at 11:29 PM. Reason: wrong order

Well Cadpoint on electrical drawnings we see lighting/ pages power/ pages fire alarm /pages com /data pages sound /pages security/ pages control/ pages lighting & fixture / schedules pages panel /schedules pages and the oneline power riser pages also the details pages grounding oneline /pages electrical room / pages data/ com room/ pages ect ect .

But i have never seen a page called a layout page .

(layout) . . . is something a electrical engineer can't do; electricians only do layout work .
    Oh yes we can, and sometimes we have to. On a recent project, I did the layout for a significant conduit run. Not all runs, but one in particular. I had to, because there was limited space to get from one floor to the next, and I had to coordinate the space usage with the mechanical and plumbing engineers.

Most of the time, my drawings will (as you suggest) only show the points at which electrical components are to be located, leaving the actual conduit routing to the electrician. But don't tell me I don't know how to do it.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.