underwater lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsparky52

Does anyone have experience with underwater lighting? I need to find some to light up the area under a floating dock on the intracoastal waterway.
Since this area cannot be drained, A pond light that requires draining to install or service would not be appropriate.

Do you think it's better to install a light looking up or shining down?

Light recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you install the light to the bottom of the deck shining into the water where the light will always be above water?

oldsparky52

We have installed several of these: http://underwaterfishlight.com/

It gets dunked into the water, not mounted to the dock though.

I was looking at their website this morning. It looks like they drop a lamp (with a cage) and socket connected to a cord into the water. How did they keep the water from getting into that socket? I find it difficult to believe a tight fitting sleeve would keep the water out.

cpinetree

I was looking at their website this morning. It looks like they drop a lamp (with a cage) and socket connected to a cord into the water. How did they keep the water from getting into that socket? I find it difficult to believe a tight fitting sleeve would keep the water out.

They are sealed around the socket collar with silicone or similar sealant.

I would recommend the cages for them. One of our customers has a camera system set up on the dock looking into the water, piped to his big screen (his aquarium). He has pictures of a jewfish taking the whole lamp into its mouth and in so doing broke a lamp.

Fish_Light_Jewfish.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.