wall space ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohr46

What I just described could be a library in someones home. Librarys are specifically mentioned in 210.52(A)

But you cannot designate what a room is to be used for, only the HO can say how the room will be used and if the HO says it's a closet then no recept is needed.

Jim W in Tampa

But you cannot designate what a room is to be used for, only the HO can say how the room will be used and if the HO says it's a closet then no recept is needed.

Not as simple as that in most states. Permit requires plans with rooms listed. If you try to call what looks like a bed room a closet you will not likely get permit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not as simple as that in most states. Permit requires plans with rooms listed. If you try to call what looks like a bed room a closet you will not likely get permit.
C3PO & I are from TN. Most of our residential plans are drawn on a paper sack :)

Jim W in Tampa

C3PO & I are from TN. Most of our residential plans are drawn on a paper sack :)
Fl was not much better than that 35 years ago. At the time i was wanting to build a house in Lee county. Took day off from work to find out what was required to get permit. 2 hours later i had it in my hand from just a sketch on 9 x 12 not to scale. It won't happen today.

Would see you as having hard time inspecting if they could call it anything they want.

elohr46

My response was to post #8 describing a room full of shelves, that wouldn't be mistaken for a bedroom, and it could be a closet. And if the HO wrote closet on his plans then no recept. would be needed.

C3PO

I disagree. Lots of times HO or EC will try to do exactly what you are saying and call a room something else just to get out of doing something that they should be doing in the first place. Which is a piss poor practice IMO. The inspector has the right to cut through the BS and call it what it is.

For example around here to get out of AFCI protection people will say "No this is not a bedroom it is a bonus room it just happens to have a closet and a bed in it."

If you want to call a big room with built in shevles along the wall that is going to be full of books a closet that is fine but I am going to call it a library and install receptacles in the toe kick of the shevles so they will have somewhere to plug in some lamps or anything else they might want.

electricmanscott

If you want to call a big room with built in shevles along the wall that is going to be full of books a closet that is fine but I am going to call it a library and install receptacles in the toe kick of the shevles so they will have somewhere to plug in some lamps or anything else they might want.

Not if it's my house. I'll tell YOU what the room is.

Here in MA the homeowner decides what the room is. As it should be.

elohr46

I disagree. Lots of times HO or EC will try to do exactly what you are saying and call a room something else just to get out of doing something that they should be doing in the first place. Which is a piss poor practice IMO. The inspector has the right to cut through the BS and call it what it is.

For example around here to get out of AFCI protection people will say "No this is not a bedroom it is a bonus room it just happens to have a closet and a bed in it."

I don't see where NEC gives the AHJ the power to designate a room. If a HO has approved drawings for his property then that's what they are, if there aren't any such drawings I don't see how an EI can decide how a room is to be used. I call it a closet and you call it a library, so now the HO can only place books on the shelves if you are the AHJ?

Last edited:

C3PO

I don't see where NEC gives the AHJ the power to designate a room. If a HO has approved drawings for his property then that's what they are, if there aren't any such drawings I don't see how an EI can decide how a room is to be used. I call it a closet and you call it a library, so now the HO can only place books on the shelves if you are the AHJ?

Just call the whole house a closet and don't put in anything how about that? They can just use oil lamps and flashlights. heaven forbid someone have to install a few receptacles.

elohr46

Just call the whole house a closet and don't put in anything how about that? They can just use oil lamps and flashlights. heaven forbid someone have to install a few receptacles.

It's not about that, it's about not requiring someone to spend more money and install something they don't want or need. The HO can't be held hostage to something that's not code.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A genuine example of someone trying to get past certain requirements would be a basement room that lacks the egress necessary for a bedroom. If it has a clothes closet, it's a bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.