Quarter turn panel cover clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2X

I have had trouble with all the quarter turn clamps I run into and have been dealing with them on stainless steel panel covers in a few Operating Rooms for the last few days. Are there some tricks I need to learn?? They seem to be a rather poor design of maybe the ones I'm running into no longer funtion properly?? Thanks!

cadpoint

.... they're dangerous (sometimes). hatem. should be outlawed.
One side the swing is clockwise to attach, and one side is counter-clockwise...

And why they think it's convient for the biggest covers you ever want to touch, I'll never know!!!

e57

Just a one sided toggle bolt - I don't mind them that much unless they are trashed prior to my arrival, or the panel has too little space for them to operate without mashing a conductor in it - which you won't know until it's too late... (Zip-ties help that)

Anyway most of them are abused long before I show up, stripped, mangled or missing parts.... Maybe you were there before me???

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They do suck, and I do hate them, but I've gotten pretty good at putting them back together.

And, it always seems that the larger and heavier the cover is, the worse condition they're in. :mad:

I have had trouble with all the quarter turn clamps I run into and have been dealing with them on stainless steel panel covers in a few Operating Rooms for the last few days. Are there some tricks I need to learn?? They seem to be a rather poor design of maybe the ones I'm running into no longer funtion properly?? Thanks!

Making sure someone else is putting the covers back on is the best trick I know of. :cool:

I have not seen those type covers lately, I used to hate them when I worked in the field.
I knew a lot of people used to remove the assembly and install their own screws and washers.

masterinbama

I think the OP is talking about the large flat head fasteners used on Hoffman and wiegman enclosures. I have found that applying pressure to the cover while turning they turn much easier.

Power Tech

To top it off there is no shoe. This one was so heavy, slid down and missed my foot by....

I took all the panels at a store and drilled and taped 1/4". Put a bolt in sticking out with a nut and a washer.

GUNNING

#10 or #12 decisions decisions ...

#10 or #12 decisions decisions ...

I breath a sigh of relief when I see the self tappers and the open holes where the pterodactyls used to be. (prehistoric and very descriptive)

I find if I spend a little time looking at them, presetting them, figuring out which ones still work, saves a lot of effort. Its the sledgehammer electrician before me that wrecks em.

Anyone know if there is a standard replacement kit? (besides a self tapper)

Maybe those spring clip on nuts? ..

fishin' electrician

hate them!

hate them!

I too almost lost both sets of toes to one of these setups that didn't have a shoe or foot at the bottom. The second I loosened the last clamp the 50+ lb. cover slid like a guillotine to the floor missing my feet by millimeters. There was no evidence of a shoe or foot ever being installed at the factory.

I left a nice big note in indelible marker on the front cover for the next guy.

charlietuna

I have found that they usually are not assembled correctly be the previous electrician. It takes time to check each fastener on the cover, but that time is well spent when installing the cover--and of course always make sure the wires are clear of each fastener's contact point.

220/221

They seem to be a rather poor design

That's an understatement. I always find myself eliminating them and drilling/self tapping new screws if I am going to need to get in the panel more than once.

Don S.

The inventor of those diabolical devices must have hated electricians. In our facility, we have had a practice of removing them, installing hinges on one side of these covers and drilling & tapping the other three sides for ?-20s. The time spent is well worth it. I realize as a contractor dealing with a customer?s equipment, you don?t have that luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.