Industrial Eys or Eyd Sealing Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is: Eys's or Eyd's are used for the prevention of the passing of Gas and/or vapor through conduit, But is the sealing compound "Chico" good for water prevention as well or will the "Chico" eventually break down and cause problems. In easier words, can Chico (sealing compound) be used for the prevention of the passing of water as well?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My question is: Eys's or Eyd's are used for the prevention of the passing of Gas and/or vapor through conduit, But is the sealing compound "Chico" good for water prevention as well or will the "Chico" eventually break down and cause problems. In easier words, can Chico (sealing compound) be used for the prevention of the passing of water as well?

It may work that way, but I don't believe it's listed that way. That said, if you can find something that can break down sealing compound without harming the wires or conduit you could make a mint.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They make "drain" type sealing fittings where the Chico is used as the water seal, so it must be suitable to keep out water that is not under pressure.
Z

First off, sorry for posting in the inappropriate area of the form and thanks Don. That was my contention, However, I was using it in a Non-classified area for weather prevention entering a bulkhead (because we all know water will enter a conduit) and I was told that the sealing compound "Chico" is not for weather. Only gasses and vapor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, the instructions for the Chico say only for vapors and gasses, yet the instructions for the seal fitting with drains call for you to use the Chico.
If it is not a classified area, Polywater has a water rated sealing product. They say it can hold ~ 22 feet of water column.
http://www.polywater.com/ductseal.html

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Just a comment. "Chico" and other explosionproof sealing compounds don't necessarily "seal" as well as you might expect. While water alone won't damage it, it won't necessarily hold it that well either. See Section 501.15(E)(2)&(3) for the actual standard. [I've given up trying to get CMP 14 to move or include this information somewhere in 501.15(C)]

Article 501 ● Class I Locations

(2) Compound. The compound shall provide a seal against passage of gas or vapors through the seal fitting, shall not be affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids, and shall not have a melting point of less than 93°C (200°F).

So basically according to the above Rule on Compound, It cannot be "affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids," i.e. rain. That sounds to me like -"Weatherproof."
That being said, if "Chico" is affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids (rain), then it shouldn't be used, right?

kwired

Electron manager
Article 501 ● Class I Locations

(2) Compound. The compound shall provide a seal against passage of gas or vapors through the seal fitting, shall not be affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids, and shall not have a melting point of less than 93°C (200°F).

So basically according to the above Rule on Compound, It cannot be "affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids," i.e. rain. That sounds to me like -"Weatherproof."
That being said, if "Chico" is affected by the surrounding atmosphere or liquids (rain), then it shouldn't be used, right?

Surrounding atmosphere contains the flammable liquid or gas that causes the hazardous location. Those do end up inside the raceway. There is a reason the boundary seals are required to be first fitting with exception to reducer fittings beyond the boundary.

Weatherproof would mean it needs to be resistant not only to water but also sunlight as well as temperature changes. Sunlight is not suppose to be a problem inside the raceway or seal fitting, water and temperature can be.

Not trying to state specifically what this sealing compound is required to be rated for, just trying to show what it will be subject to in a typical outdoor application.

Status
Not open for further replies.