Spot the Violation: A video quiz....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

Watch THIS VIDEO and see if you can spot the serious and dangerous Code violation!! It shows up in the video after the 3:00 time.

(Yes, there really is a Major violation in this video.)

VoltageHz

Are you talking about that #12 he snuck into the breaker?

Or do you just mean his (Moderator's Note: Allusion to ethnic origin has been removed) accent? That's a violation in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFletcher

Yeah, that's nice. I didn't know #12 was good for 60 amps. :D

I made it about 8 seconds in before I spotted the first violation. 334.30.

Not to mention this guy probably did not kill power to the panel before changing out the breaker.

@2:52 - is that breaker burned through on the backside?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since he didn't address the burnt "stab" he can make another video in a short while :grin:

a "whut happen" one

RUWired

I have a few to list. No grounding electrode or conductor at the outdoor structure or at the garage. No bushing on conduits with #4 awg or larger, lugs not rated for two conductors, no OCPD for the # 12 tap,equipment grounds not connected, romex used in a wet location.romex not supported at panel within 12" of box.

Rick

360Youth

I will have to admit that I never saw that #12 stuck in there with it. You people have some keen observation. :) At least now I know why the 50 amp lugs were too small. ;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Some folks think the term 'hick' refers to southerners.

Well, we have 'hicks' in Michigan, too. As we use it, the term refers to residents of rural areas with limited educations. It is only derogatory if used in a derogatory context. It can also be used in jest or simply as a description.

I was also told once, but could not verify such, that the term 'hillbilly' was originated to describe people in Michigan. I was always under the impression it meant an inhabitant of the foothills of the Ozark Mountains.

To me, the context is the issue, not the term. To that extent, the guy in the video deserves no less than to be described in a manner that the video portrays.

I will leave it at that.

VoltageHz

Of Hicksovian descent?

LOL.

The edit along with the description make it look like I actually said something racist. That was very poor form, if my comment was out of line then it could have been edited out in a more appropriate manner.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
was that # 12 for the pump relay?

I have seen that many times in inspected work in southern Oregon!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
This message has been deleted by George Stolz. Reason: Off Topic. Pointing out typos is not germane to the discussion.

Most people of Hickosvian descent are very proud of their family orgins, and would probably consider it a complement if you told them they had a "crimson nape".

Steve

mxslick

Watch it guys..

Watch it guys..

Ok guys, let's get back on topic before the Mod Squad has to shut this down...:roll:

Ok, so far we have the following violations:

1: A #12 double-lugged onto that 50/60 amp breaker with no supplemental OCP;
2: No grounding electrode at structure;
3: No conduit bushings;
4: Equipment grounds not connected;
5: Romex used in wet location;
6: Possible burned buss stab;
7: Code Section 334.30 violation (Anyone care to spell that one out, my 1999 NEC doesn't have that section...)

was that # 12 for the pump relay?

I have seen that many times in inspected work in southern Oregon!

Even if it was that still doesn't make it right.

But the main thing that caught my eye was the #12 lugged into that 50 amp breaker. After reviewing this thread and looking at the video again, I do see all the other issues here as well.

Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.