Bonding Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

We have a 200a MP to a 16 cir. auto trans. switch, to a disconnect, to a 14kva generator. The only bond of the grounded and grounding electrode is at the MP. Shouldn't they be bonded at the disconnect too ??

Hendrix

If the transfer switch does not switch the grounded conductor, the bonding at the generator itself is treated as if it were a subpanel. Separate the equipment grounds and the grounded conductor(s).
I did a continuity test and there is no bonding at the generator. The transfer switch does not switch the grounded conductor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I did a continuity test and there is no bonding at the generator. The transfer switch does not switch the grounded conductor.

It sounds as if you may not have an equipment ground to your generator. Have you noted ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is an equipment gnd. that runs from the generator all the way back to the main panel.
I misunderstood your continuity test apparently. But, as Pierre states, if the transfer switch does not switch the neutral,the generator is not a SDS and no bonding should be done.

Hendrix

I misunderstood your continuity test apparently. But, as Pierre states, if the transfer switch does not switch the neutral,the generator is not a SDS and no bonding should be done.

I did the continuity test at the gen. with nothing connected. So, they arn't bonded at the gen.. Looking at the trans. switch, the nutral is not switched.
So, there should not be a bond other than in the main panel. I think that's what you're saying.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.