Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Can't tell.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wasasparky

314.24(C) differentiates between outlet boxes and device boxes.

314.27 no mention of switches.

Does the box that the LED luminaire was installed in, have a mark on the interior to indicate the maximum weight of the luminaire that is permitted to be supported by the lighting outlet box? :grin:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
314.24(C) differentiates between outlet boxes and device boxes.
The phrase "Outlet and device . . ." is used repeatedly while 314.24 describes minimum internal depth of the enclosure. I don't see that it describes the differences (differentiation) between Outlets and Devices.
314.27 no mention of switches.

Does the box that the LED luminaire was installed in, have a mark on the interior to indicate the maximum weight of the luminaire that is permitted to be supported by the lighting outlet box? :grin:
Don't overlook the exception to 314.27(A)
2008 NEC
314.27(A) Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
TMHWLECC_1-1.jpg

The luminaire yoke, the plastic luminaire body and the one label (see photo above) have absolutely no electrical info other than "20A per circuit. 15A each. 120VAC"
But, it does say "luminaire" right in the middle.

cschmid

I have installed a bunch of these and like them and so does everyone I know who has them installed..You raised an interesting debate. I wonder what the debate was like before this was marketed???

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I wonder what the debate was like before this was marketed???
I have two thoughts.

One is tied to the White Book classification of this LED luminaire as an incandescent luminaire. I've worked in a large number of 1890 thru 1920 single family dwellings. They commonly, but not always, had evidence of a switch controlled receptacle in the kitchen. The switch and the single receptacle, each in their own yokes, were under a three gang coverplate.

The central gang, of the three gang plate, was a jewel lensed incandescent indicator light. The most common bulb was the venerable C7 Christmas decoration type.

Turning the switch on energized both the indicator light and the receptacle.

I suspect the White Book classification of the LED luminaire is this same device carried forward in time.

Until the advent of the AFCI and 210.12(B) I doubt that hardly anyone gave a yoke mounted luminaire much thought at all. Maybe there was a debate about whether the luminaire was Utilization Equipment, or not. . . but that boils down to what an Outlet is.

As long as part of the 15 and 20 Amp 125 Volt branch circuits in a Dwelling are not AFCI protected there will be a need to understand what an Outlet is, IMO.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
That definition came from the NEC.......The requirements they call out are a light source, positioning, and power supply connection. All are present in this case.

Is a porcelain lamp holder a luminaire ? I remember reading here that it isn't, but it seems to have these 3 elements.

cschmid

I have not seen one of the receptacles you discribe in years and I suppose the idea may of stemmed from the use of the indicator light receptacle. I would think the amperage of the night light receptacle is less then the 1.8 allowed per receptacle in the calculation. I believe this is one of the most useful inventions in a long time.

Now I have not researched this as my computer crashed thanks to some Qwest software and the lack of proper directions. apparently I needed to due some clean up on my laptop and now it is deer hunting. So next week when I am hanging around the home away from I will check it out.

LED's have their own UL standard ... is it misclassified? ... is it safe ?

LED's have their own UL standard ... is it misclassified? ... is it safe ?

Hi All,

I'm new to the BB ... this discussion is of great interest ... I've been working on similar projects for a long time and looked at the questions many different ways from a luminaire designer point of view. For one thing, there is a new UL standard for LED luminaires ... although this may predate it, it may not ... most commercial LED stuff is pretty new.
What would you say about this?
(hope the picture shows) ... surface mounted luminaire?
I think the most important thing about UL is that it is a standard for safety ... not an absolute ruling ... and in the end many things are listable that may not appear at first glance to be by the book.

-Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.