18 or 20 gauge for t-stat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello,

moved my neighbors tstat about 15 feet..

it's for AC.. the original stat is 18 gauge and about 20' from the air handler ( didn't crawl in the attic to locate the air handler, HO mentioned unit was right above)

I added 15' …………. I added 20 gauge, should I be good to go with the 20, or should I consider replacing it to 18?

The condenser I would think is about 70' away from the air handler if that makes a difference..

A google search http://wifithermostatreviews.com/the-thermostat-wiring-color-code-guide/

This sight mentioned it's the distance which is why 18 would be considered… Truth??

Don't loss sleep over it or replace it?

Thank you.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Just a normal 24 volt T stat? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. It works, right? And I like the way that "site" calls the switching of the thermostat contacts data. :blink:

-Hal

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Hello,

moved my neighbors tstat about 15 feet..

it's for AC.. the original stat is 18 gauge and about 20' from the air handler ( didn't crawl in the attic to locate the air handler, HO mentioned unit was right above)

I added 15' …………. I added 20 gauge, should I be good to go with the 20, or should I consider replacing it to 18?......
Is there a fire extinguisher kept near by?

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not too concerned about the need for a fire extinguisher, but is funny.

too small of a conductor just means an already low grade contactor or relay will fail even sooner if too small of a lead to the switching device causes too much voltage drop.

This voltage drop will effect the ability of the relay or contactor to "pull in" more so then it will effect the voltage and current necessary to hold it in.

If it is carrying "data" instead of current to a relay or contactor 20 AWG is likely larger then necessary other then what mechanical strength you get from the size of the conductor(s).

ritelec

Thanks for the info…

used the 20 as a drag line and replaced with 18…

sure it wasn't an issue.. just one less thing to think about…

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Now that it's settled, why do you have 20awg hanging around your truck? I'm just curious as I've never had anything other than 18. Is there a cost savings to use it when you don't need 18?

ritelec

Now that it's settled, why do you have 20awg hanging around your truck? I'm just curious as I've never had anything other than 18. Is there a cost savings to use it when you don't need 18?

Good question……..

maybe door bell.. or t stat from a incarnation of past business endeavors with brother (1990 ish??) that wound up from the shed to there ………….. sure its been around for years..

don't think much of a savings….specially if you go back to replace it :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.