362.10(1)(a) and 362.12(7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I want to use a little bit of ENT on a light commercial job. There are wooden framed walls at about 7.5 feet high, then a 2 foot space, then suspended ceiling. There's about 4 feet of vertical space above the tiles. I want the ENT to come out of the top of one of the walls, get into the space above the ceiling tile and work its way over to the panel, which is 10-15 feet away. Also I need to cross a doorway which has a header that I can't drill through by coming out of the top of the wall and securing the tubing to the top of the wall. All of this will be hidden from the rest of the store and away from any customer areas. It's a paint your own pottery type shop. It's for a good friend of mine and my late father's and we're trying to get his shop open without breaking the bank.

I can definitely support the ENT, so that's not my question. My question is the very confusing language in this article.

263.10(1)(a) says I can run it exposed (This building is single story) except where prohibited by 362.12. There's only one scenario {362.12(7)} under Uses Not Permitted that I need to worry about and that says: In exposed locations, except where permitted by 362.10(1) 362.10(5) 362.10(7). I will comply to (5) and (7) but when I look back at 362.10(1) it tells me I can do it except when prohibited by 362.12.

I keep running myself in circles on this one. Only a total of 10-15 feet will end up exposed.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm thinking that the suspended ceiling would need to have a 15 minute finish rating, but beyond that, it's probably okay. I'll go looking for the other thread when I get home.

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
I passed the inspection easily. I don't think the inspector had ever seen it used either. Here's the pics, just wanted them to be part of this thread for the future.

I secured a piece of 1/2" EMT by drilling a 5/8" hole in the top of the wall, wedging it into the hole and forcing it between that and the tin roof right along the reddish steel frame. Secured it to the steel from in three places. Then secured the ENT to that. Inspector said, "Looks like you have it supported."

1118091205b.jpg

Feed in/feed out for the bathroom fan/light combo. The romex goes to the fan, it will be sealed within the walls and ceiling.

1118091205a.jpg

2" RMC between panel and this junction box, so no need to make things more difficult than necessary.

1118091206a.jpg

The previous pictures depicted parts of a complete conduit and junction box system. The following was just protection from the risk of physical damage. I definitely should have drilled the hole into the stud on the left down lower to match up with the paneling. There's cinderblock directly behind the sheetrock, so I felt better about fastening the clips to the wooden paneling instead of using drywall anchors.

1118091206b.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Edit above to correct typo.

I don't think work above a suspended ceiling is "exposed work" When applying this section, IMO.
George,
How is it not exposed work?
Exposed (as applied to wiring methods). On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.
It is specifically permitted in the "exposed location" (above a lay-in ceiling) per 310.12(7).

jaylectricity

Occupation
There's a lot of NM above that ceiling. Pre-existing?

Oh yeah, that wiring is at least 20 years old. This space sat empty for 5 years before my friend moved in.

That being said, I was unaware that the code had changed recently and ran a 6-3 NM for his kiln. Then while looking through the code, I noticed that it seemed to prohibit that use.

When the inspector was there I showed him what I had done and told him I had planned to sleeve it in PVC to fix it. He asked how I had supported it and I told him I zip tied it every couple feet along the metal framing. He said, "You're all set." And signed off on that permit as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I always love it when the NEC redefines words that have been around a lot longer than it has...
Merriam-Webster Collegiate? Dictionary Browse

ex?posed
Pronunciation: ik-'spōzd
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1623

1 : open to view
2 : not shielded or protected also : not insulated <an exposed electric wire>
synonyms see LIABLE

x
ex?pose
Pronunciation: ik-'spōz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form: ex?posed ; ex?pos?ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French exposer, from Latin exponere to set forth, explain (perf. indicative exposui), from ex- + ponere to put, place ― more at POSITION
Date: 15th century

1 a : to deprive of shelter, protection, or care : subject to risk from a harmful action or condition <expose troops needlessly> <has not yet been exposed to measles> b : to submit or make accessible to a particular action or influence <expose children to good books> especially : to subject (a sensitive photographic film, plate, or paper) to radiant energy c : to abandon (an infant) especially by leaving in the open
2 a : to make known : bring to light (as something shameful) b : to disclose the faults or crimes of <expose a murderer>
3 : to cause to be visible or open to view : DISPLAY: as a : to offer publicly for sale b : to exhibit for public veneration c : to reveal the face of (a playing card) or the cards of (a player's hand) d : to engage in indecent exposure of (oneself)
synonyms see SHOW
–ex?pos?er noun

We all understand you would be exposed if you had no clothes on, but an analogy of the NEC definition would be you are exposed whether you are clothed or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.