Ghost in the Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Try leaving the one circuit on that you think had the 20A reading and look at the electric meter and see if it is moving.

I'll try that when I get back out there.

I do need to take some more precise readings. I was short on time and didn't have everything with me. I went over there to check out something else and figured since I was there I would check the current draw.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The cat, however, was not so prepared. They can jump straight up in the air, did you know that?
So if it's true that cats always land on their feet when dropped, and peanut butter toast always lands peanut butter side down, what would happen if you secured peanut butter toast to the back of a cat and threw it?
:grin:

SG-1

I had high voltage from my POCO transformer a few years back in the same range. The trouble was intermittent so it went on for a long while. I also had AM & FM radio interference when the voltage was high. The transformer finally blew-up. I assume some windings were shorting out to cause the voltage rise & the arcing caused the radio interference.
Good Hunting

AV ELECTRIC

I had high voltage from my POCO transformer a few years back in the same range. The trouble was intermittent so it went on for a long while. I also had AM & FM radio interference when the voltage was high. The transformer finally blew-up. I assume some windings were shorting out to cause the voltage rise & the arcing caused the radio interference.
Good Hunting

I agree i think you have a poco problem just looking at your overhead wires for damage is not going to get it done are the neighbors using a common transformer if so maybe check voltages with them and utility bills. Voltage fluctuations on phase to neutral leads me to believe a neutral problem with poco give them a call.

danickstr

boy you sure are nice to all these crusty responses (oops off topic). Sounds like you may have changed the receptacle too soon, although I cannot understand why a receptacle would randomly draw that much current.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I got 15.3 amps on the ungrounded conductor being fed from a 15 amp breaker.
It would be good to know if the current on that circuit's grounded conductor was equal.

Added: I would pull the receptacle and see if it has more than one pair of wires.

Last edited:

TwinCitySparky

Ghost's :roll:

I'll take a stab. You are in Michigan. Land of sump pumps.

I have many times seen where the discharge pipe has come apart at some point either close to the pit or directly outside which then allows the discharged water to seep quickly back into the pit creating a very waste full cycling on-off.

They draw about 15 amps.

Do I win the prize.? :grin:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Good Hunting

Hmm.....I will check for RFI. I never even thought of that.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Have you tried ghost busters? :grin:

I AM the ghostbuster around here. I have several contractors that call me to help them troubleshoot as they know I like to do it. I have a box full of test equipment, some home brew, that one of the EC's calls 'The VooDoo Box'. If I get a call from him and he asks if I have The VooDoo Box I know it will be a call I will enjoy.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I agree i think you have a poco problem just looking at your overhead wires for damage is not going to get it done are the neighbors using a common transformer if so maybe check voltages with them and utility bills. Voltage fluctuations on phase to neutral leads me to believe a neutral problem with poco give them a call.

If the pig served anyone else it would be across the road. One drop is to a house that has been DC'd for years.

As for looking overhead for damage I have found damaged triplex hanging on by one strand that way. Never underestimate a visual inspection.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
It would be good to know if the current on that circuit's grounded conductor was equal.

Added: I would pull the receptacle and see if it has more than one pair of wires.

Equal to what? Are you suggesting there may be a ground fault or a shared neutral? How would that show up as unexpected current?

Yes, pulling the receptacle is going to happen. Maybe not until tomorrow though.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'll take a stab. You are in Michigan. Land of sump pumps.

I have many times seen where the discharge pipe has come apart at some point either close to the pit or directly outside which then allows the discharged water to seep quickly back into the pit creating a very waste full cycling on-off.

They draw about 15 amps.

Do I win the prize.? :grin:

I had that happen once. Breaker would randomly trip when the washer ran. Turns out that one circuit ran the washer, the basement sump pump, and the receps up in the living room which they had tapped off of for another sump pump in their front yard. So when the washer discharged, if they timed it right, both the sump pumps would kick on to drain the water, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.