Number of electricians on a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkymikie

I am having a discussion with some coworkers about the number of electricians on a job. They say OSHA requires at least 2 electricians on every job. Is that true? I say there is no OSHA requirements. I tried to look it up on the OSHA website but could not find anything pertaining to that.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am having a discussion with some coworkers about the number of electricians on a job. They say OSHA requires at least 2 electricians on every job. Is that true? I say there is no OSHA requirements. I tried to look it up on the OSHA website but could not find anything pertaining to that.

i've been on jobs where no electrician was used in the making of this project.

look at the work........ :p

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Perhaps:

OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.269 covers the operation of and maintenance work on electric power generation, transmission, and distribution lines and equipment, including such work performed in aerial lifts. See, for example, paragraphs: (g) Personal protective equipment; (k) Material handling and storage; (l) Working on or near exposed energized parts; and (p) Mechanical equipment. The electrical safety work practices contained in Section 1910.269 apply only to qualified employees (and, to a limited extent, line-clearance tree trimmers).1 We assume that your question concerns work covered by 1910.269.

Paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(i) requires that at least two employees be present during:
(A) Installation, removal, or repair of lines energized at more than 600 volts;
(B) Installation, removal, or repair of deenergized lines if an employee is exposed to contact with other parts energized at more than 600 volts;
(C) Installation, removal, or repair of equipment, such as transformers, capacitors, and regulators, if an employee is exposed to contact with parts energized at more than 600 volts;
(D) Work using mechanical equipment, other than insulated aerial lifts, near parts energized at more than 600 volts; and
(E) Other work exposing an employee to electrical hazards greater than or equal to those posed by operations that are specifically listed above.​
However, paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(ii) provides three exemptions to the above:
(A) Routine circuit switching, if the employer can demonstrate that conditions at the site allow the work to be performed safely;
(B) Work performed with live-line tools if the employee is neither within reach of nor otherwise exposed to contact with energized parts; and
(C) Emergency repairs to the extent necessary to safeguard the general public.​
If the work does not fall under the activities listed in paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(i) or if the work falls under that paragraph but is one of the exempted activities listed in paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(ii), then there is no OSHA requirement to have two employees present. For work practices that require at least two employees, the standard does not specify where the second employee must be located during the performance of the work. OSHA intends, however, for the second employee to be immediately available in the event of an accident and to point out poor work practices on the part of his/her fellow employee.

Additionally, if two or more employees are present at a field location, then 29 CFR 1910.269(b)(1)(i) requires that at least two persons trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) be available. The exception to this is that if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within three months of their hiring dates then only one trained person need be available.

kwired

Electron manager
I did not read all the content Gus posted, but was going to mention that when it comes to OSHA and a required minimum number of workers present (for any trade or task) that requirement is probably determined more so by the nature of the tasks being performed and/or the conditions encountered more so then the fact that electrical work is being done.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr

I've never seen an OSHA requirement for the use of an electrician. OSHA, and other work practice standards, reference the use of qualified workers. I believe the requirement for the use of electricians is a licensing issue and is determined on a state by state basis, depending upon the type and scope of work involved. However, many industrial plants have in-house trained qualified electrical workers, often called industrial or maintenance electricians that are not necessarily licensed electricians.

kwired

Electron manager
I've never seen an OSHA requirement for the use of an electrician. OSHA, and other work practice standards, reference the use of qualified workers. I believe the requirement for the use of electricians is a licensing issue and is determined on a state by state basis, depending upon the type and scope of work involved. However, many industrial plants have in-house trained qualified electrical workers, often called industrial or maintenance electricians that are not necessarily licensed electricians.

I would imagine OSHA defines who is qualified to some extent for almost any job or task where special hazards are present, even if it leans on outside sources to help with that determination.

When it comes to electrical work, general safety rules apply to electrical construction that apply to other people in similar situations, things like the need for PPE for cutting materials, fall arrest, confined space work are all the same no matter what task is being performed. Where the electrician runs into things that are not typically encountered in very many other lines of work is when around exposed live components, but even those tasks are supposed to be minimized to only when deemed necessary.

wtucker

Perhaps:

OSHA Standard 29 CFR 1910.269 covers the operation of and maintenance work on electric power generation, transmission, and distribution lines and equipment, including such work performed in aerial lifts. See, for example, paragraphs: (g) Personal protective equipment; (k) Material handling and storage; (l) Working on or near exposed energized parts; and (p) Mechanical equipment. The electrical safety work practices contained in Section 1910.269 apply only to qualified employees (and, to a limited extent, line-clearance tree trimmers).1 We assume that your question concerns work covered by 1910.269.

Paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(i) requires that at least two employees be present during:
(A) Installation, removal, or repair of lines energized at more than 600 volts;
(B) Installation, removal, or repair of deenergized lines if an employee is exposed to contact with other parts energized at more than 600 volts;
(C) Installation, removal, or repair of equipment, such as transformers, capacitors, and regulators, if an employee is exposed to contact with parts energized at more than 600 volts;
(D) Work using mechanical equipment, other than insulated aerial lifts, near parts energized at more than 600 volts; and
(E) Other work exposing an employee to electrical hazards greater than or equal to those posed by operations that are specifically listed above.​
However, paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(ii) provides three exemptions to the above:
(A) Routine circuit switching, if the employer can demonstrate that conditions at the site allow the work to be performed safely;
(B) Work performed with live-line tools if the employee is neither within reach of nor otherwise exposed to contact with energized parts; and
(C) Emergency repairs to the extent necessary to safeguard the general public.​
If the work does not fall under the activities listed in paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(i) or if the work falls under that paragraph but is one of the exempted activities listed in paragraph 1910.269(l)(1)(ii), then there is no OSHA requirement to have two employees present. For work practices that require at least two employees, the standard does not specify where the second employee must be located during the performance of the work. OSHA intends, however, for the second employee to be immediately available in the event of an accident and to point out poor work practices on the part of his/her fellow employee.

Additionally, if two or more employees are present at a field location, then 29 CFR 1910.269(b)(1)(i) requires that at least two persons trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) be available. The exception to this is that if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within three months of their hiring dates then only one trained person need be available.

29 CFR 1910.269 (part of 1910 Subpart R, Special Industries), quoted above, covers the generation, transmission, and distribution installations of electric utilities, as well as equivalent installations of industrial establishments. 29 CFR 1910 Subpart S covers supplementary electric generating equipment that is used to supply a workplace for emergency, standby, or similar purposes only.

Status
Not open for further replies.