White wire re-identification or re-designation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please give me a little latitude since this is my first post.
My question is understanding 200.7 allows for the use of a white wire that is redesignated or reidentified to be used on three and four way switches. As well as a single pole switch, can that white wire extend as a switch talk to a device or outlet. For example if I was doing a split type receptacle. This question was asked to me in more of an argument as I stated utilizing 12/3 or 14/3 was the method I would use vice using 12/2 or 14/2 Could someone please explain if this is a code violation or just bad practice and what are your recommendations. Thank you for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Please give me a little latitude since this is my first post.
My question is understanding 200.7 allows for the use of a white wire that is redesignated or reidentified to be used on three and four way switches. As well as a single pole switch, can that white wire extend as a switch talk to a device or outlet. For example if I was doing a split type receptacle. This question was asked to me in more of an argument as I stated utilizing 12/3 or 14/3 was the method I would use vice using 12/2 or 14/2 Could someone please explain if this is a code violation or just bad practice and what are your recommendations. Thank you for your time
Sorry, but I can only give you so much latitude. How about a 10°?

(BTW, that's about how much there is between Jacksonville and where I'm located in Ohio) :D

Anyway, you reidentify a white wire because you only need a hot [and switch leg(s)]. If you extend the reidentified white (a hot) to a receptacle, where are you getting the grounded neutral conductor? ...And don't it have to be a white?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Am I understanding you correctly that you have a hard time believing that a white wire can be re-identified or feel uncomfortable with it?
I would have to look back into it but I don't believe the white being re-identified can be used as a switch leg back to say a light or receptacle only the black. In other words used only for tying to constant hot unless used in a 3 or 4 way traveler.

Yes Mopower. I also believe that is can only be used as a travler and not connect to outlet as a hot. If my attachment loads I believe this is not to code

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yes your picture shows a violation.
dont have the code number on the top of my head though.
Just swap that white with tape and connect to the incoming black feed and you'll be good to go.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
By the way, is there a black pigtail not shown in your picture that went to the other brass screw? since it appears that it was a split receptacle.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I also believe that is can only be used as a travler and not connect to outlet as a hot. If my attachment loads I believe this is not to code
Yes, that is a fair paraphrase. Read the red as a sentence.
2014 NEC
200.7(C)(1)

If used for single-pole, 3-way or 4-way switch loops, the reidentified conductor with white or gray insulation or three continuous white stripes shall be used only for the supply to the switch, but not as a return conductor from the switch to the outlet.
Note that it doesn't designate "receptacle" outlet or "lighting" outlet. This is a broad-brush "outlet" which includes both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.