wound up in one of those orange stores...(a rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rclacey

So I wound up in one of those big stores today, as a last ditch effort.
I HATE blue and orange stores.

I needed a Homeline 15 amp GFI breaker. I love Square D. So the blue store didn't have what I needed. They don't stock HOM115GFI's anymore since "everything is going to AFCI's now" the guy says. so apparently we don't need GFCI's, LOL. UGH. whatever... I guess I'll go to the orange one down the street.

Luckily they had my breaker. In big black writing on the package "HOM115GFIC" that's right, a GFIC. no typo. I've heard of GFCIs. not familiar with a GFIC though. I've always tried to stay clear of these stores as I beleive their products are of a sub-quality standard, and an 'xyz' at the supply house is not the same as an 'xyz' at an orange store. And, in addition to that, our installations are only as good as the parts we use, and we should strive for the best parts and installations that are possible, within reason. So for those who stand behind or endorse the parts at the big box stores, I have to ask...
If a typo this obvious (on the part number) (GFIC) can get by QC, managers, etc, how can I be convinced that the internal parts of the breaker are good enough for me to put MY warranty on?

maybe i'm just losing my mind.

G0049

In big black writing on the package "HOM115GFIC"

That would be right. The breaker inside would be a HOM115GFI. The "C: on the end of the package, indicates that that it is an individual, "Clamshell" package. If they stocked them in boxes of 10, or whatever, the "C" would not be there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If a typo this obvious (on the part number) (GFIC) can get by QC, managers, etc, how can I be convinced that the internal parts of the breaker are good enough for me to put MY warranty on?
Maybe the packaging was inspected by Yoda.
yoda.gif

jes25

I hate the Home Depot as well. It's a waste of time trying to find and pull your own material, plus they never have everything you need. I hate thier motto, "You can do it, we can help". I think they need to add, "burn your house down" to that motto, but I gotta think a Square D breaker is a Square D breaker though. Sounds like you have a conspiracy theory going.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
That would be right. The breaker inside would be a HOM115GFI. The "C: on the end of the package, indicates that that it is an individual, "Clamshell" package. If they stocked them in boxes of 10, or whatever, the "C" would not be there.

I always thought it meant "contractor package" because when i purchase boxes of circuit breakers from HD, like a 1p 20A, the box is labeled HOM120C; whereas at the supply house it just says HOM120.

Anyhow, to the OP, there is nothing wrong w/ the circuit breaker. The supply houses have their own part #'s for some items. Like QOM2's and CM200's that I purchase at the supply house have a completely different part # @ HD here.

As for pulling materials; if you call the pro desk they'll handle that for you if you have an acct with them.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

The "C" means this particular product was intended to be sold through Square D's 'Consumer Products' group (i.e. home center) rather than through a 'traditional' full-line distributor.

growler

I HATE blue and orange stores.

When buying electrical materials there is only one thing that means anything and that's the "UL" sticker on it.

Even the big supply houses have been caught dealing in fake breakers with false stickers on them make in China ( knock offs ).

There is another way to look at things. The big box stores are the largest purchasers of electrical materials. If the suppliers are going to screw anyone it's probably not going to be their biggest customer. ;)

Rewire

When buying electrical materials there is only one thing that means anything and that's the "UL" sticker on it.

Even the big supply houses have been caught dealing in fake breakers with false stickers on them make in China ( knock offs ).

There is another way to look at things. The big box stores are the largest purchasers of electrical materials. If the suppliers are going to screw anyone it's probably not going to be their biggest customer. ;)

the low price is do to volume not cheaply made

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I hate the Home Depot as well. It's a waste of time trying to find and pull your own material, plus they never have everything you need.
Actually, I like hands-on shopping with a cart. I wish supply houses let you do that. Often, I have to coddle together pieces for a weird installation of some sort, and I don't know what I need until I see it.

I hate thier motto, "You can do it, we can help".
I think Diet Pepsi used that line in a jingle a few years back.

I think they need to add, "burn your house down" to that motto . . .
That's a little harsh, methinks. Guns don't kill people, y'know. ;)

I once stopped a guy in HD from "helping a friend" burn his house down. In his cart were a 40a 2p breaker, a range receptacle, and a roll of 12-2 NM.

"The big wire costs too much," was his reply.

I explained why it mattered, and he immediately put the 12 back and grabbed a roll of 8-3. I may have been nosy, but I'd do it again . . . and have.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The supply houses have their own part #'s for some items. Like QOM2's and CM200's that I purchase at the supply house have a completely different part # @ HD here.
I've bought a SqD 200a MB in a 3R at Lowe's that Graybar can't even find in the catalog; you have to get the breaker and enclosure separately.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I just bought a QO2100 from the local Big Box.....$45.00.......the price up the street at my wholesale house.......$75.00. And I agree, as far as NM goes, the Big Box stores blow away the competition.

Contractor/Pro Desk

Contractor/Pro Desk

For those of you who will admit to buying materials at the HD--You may find that using the pro-desk for orders over $2.5k will save some serious bucks. They're willing to deal. I will usually get my rough from HD and my trim from my local supply house. Another advantage is you can pull items as needed using will-call instead of chasing all over the store or storing materials elsewhere. The best reason is you can have them price match or meet & beat by 10% on anything they stock if you can show a legitimate lower price elsewhere. I string them out for the 12 mos. no interest no payments on the consumer card since they let you. They don't make much on me but I save a bundle by shopping there.

macmikeman

Pardon me for saying this but, when I go to HD there is usually some pretty good looking women pushing carts thru the light isles or curtains and shades or some such. You don't see much like that in supply houses.....:roll:

Rewire

Pardon me for saying this but, when I go to HD there is usually some pretty good looking women pushing carts thru the light isles or curtains and shades or some such. You don't see much like that in supply houses.....:roll:

their was a counter girl at our supply house she was dumb as a box of rocks but nice to look at she had the nicest tramp stamp and light green thong.....

resistance

their was a counter girl at our supply house she was dumb as a box of rocks but nice to look at she had the nicest tramp stamp and light green thong.....
LOL, that's why they hired her.

Speaking on wire, I can normally get my supplier to price my wire close to HD's prices--if gas prices aren't gone wild. Outside of that, I have no problem shopping for wire at the Big box stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.