Standard vs Optional Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawireguy

I'm back to studying for the Admin test for WA and am trying to wrap my head around calculations.

If I understand correctly Optional Calculations are only for dwelling units, multi-family dwelling units, schools and restaurants. All others have to be calculated using "standard" Calculations.

wawireguy

From what I'm seeing though the section that covers optional methods only lists the above scenarios. Doesn't seem like there is a option for doing a office building as a example under optional rules.

ray cyr

I'm back to studying for the Admin test for WA and am trying to wrap my head around calculations.

If I understand correctly Optional Calculations are only for dwelling units, multi-family dwelling units, schools and restaurants. All others have to be calculated using "standard" Calculations.

You are correct :)

wawireguy

Thank you all, it's challenging to train yourself for sure. The Mike Holt book I have is pretty good but it leaves some details out. It's the general journeyman prep guide.

gndrod

Thank you all, it's challenging to train yourself for sure. The Mike Holt book I have is pretty good but it leaves some details out. It's the general journeyman prep guide.

wawireguy,

I can associate with the 'details' comment when it comes time to write about specialized areas in wire and cable installation. Illustrating details is an art in talking on paper as compared to writing about the same subject.

The artists that do the drawings need to be coached or well informed to create accurate pictures, but writers are even more challenged to describe a method along with the actual equipment with 'blind text'. Context can distract interpretation in the reader's mind. A perfect example of that remark would be like reading the NEC NFPA 70. Even the handbook is not perfect...so rationalization of finding an electrical text book by any writer is like discovering the Holy Grail. It takes more than one book on every subject.

I grade every electrical book I read to compare how other writers cope with describing electrical instruction, application methods and code correctness. Perfection takes time and a lot of experience. Most books are written and illustrated for the author by professionals that are not electrically schooled. The publishers dictate the physical aspect of overhead costs along with profits and deadlines.

I admire anyone who has a book published because I know the inside mechanics and sacrifice the author must go through in getting the subject matter in an understandable language in correct form. That is why I personally write and illustrate my self-published books and still see flaws in contextual description.

So Mike's books are a step ahead of most educational texts in many ways due to his knowledge and experience in the electrical field. Take it from me, trying to get the CMP's to accept different ways of explaining code is not easy. rbj

D-Unit

The questions will be like this ruffly.
You have two 600ft2 dwelling units with
Range 6kw
H2O heater 1.2kw
ECT
Using the OPTONAL method what is the feeder demand.

PS Mike Holts Exam Prep books are great & you can bring them in with you.
I wish he made some for the WAC/RCW.

wawireguy

D-Unit, Don't sweat the RCW/WAC stuff. Just read through them during commercials while watching tv. I passed the RCW/WAC with a pretty good score on the journey test. I still don't know what the difference between WAC and RCW is. LOL!

I think I saw somewhere online that WA based some or all of their electrical tests off of Mike Holt's materials. Have no idea if that is true or not.

gndrod

The questions will be like this ruffly.
You have two 600ft2 dwelling units with
Range 6kw
H2O heater 1.2kw
ECT
Using the OPTONAL method what is the feeder demand.

PS Mike Holts Exam Prep books are great & you can bring them in with you.
I wish he made some for the WAC/RCW.
D-Unit,
MH's exam books are tailored to the NEC and can be used as a baseline for the 296-46B with exception of a few adopted variations of the WAC.

The above example is a question that requires a comparison of the Standard Method for 2 dwelling units [220]Part III to the Optional Method [220.84] for 3 identical units....thus permitting the lesser of the two to be applied.[220.85] I believe this 'trick' question measures the learned skill of which method must be looked at for the optimum result and maybe not being optional in the actual exercise.

The best approach would be to use the WAC296-46B online and compare the variations with the NEC. Hope that helps. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.