elevators

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I think that this may be one of those rules that has been repeated often enough it is taken for granted that it is true

Rewire......Agreed.

It may be a myth but it is a very tightly enforced myth in my area.

You will not get by an elevator inspection without the disconect right at the door. I have had to relocate light switches in order to get by this issue.

Maybe I am just a sucker, but we get paid for things like this.:)

benaround

I just cant see a real reason for being by the door.

The only people I have seen use them are elevator guys.

Maybe they just don't like to walk?

Maybe all that hydraulic oil has cought on fire due to an electrical problem and the disco.

right by the door seemed like a good safety item.

iwire

Staff member
I think the disconnect by the door is a direct result of the light switch location required to be located near the jam .

That has not been my experience in MA and RI.

I can tell you from first hand experience that code, or no code, the elevator inspector makes us locate the disconnects at the door. This has only come up a dozen or more times for me so maybe I am just very unlucky. :)

I found this from Massachusetts , unless I missed it ,. or they did not care to mention it, there does not seem to be such a requirement in Massachusetts for the disconnect.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dps/appl/form_elev_preinspection_checklist.pdf

Yeah I found that as well, and I can clearly see it does not say anything about discos near the door.

My experience has always been 'the elevator guys get what they want'.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I just did one in upstate NY and bidding on 7 more, Iwire can you guess where all the discos will be located?
Right by the lock side of the door; no code book with me now but this is how we do it here.

M. D.

I can tell you from first hand experience that code, or no code, the elevator inspector makes us locate the disconnects at the door. This has only come up a dozen or more times for me so maybe I am just very unlucky. :)

Yeah I found that as well, and I can clearly see it does not say anything about discos near the door.

My experience has always been 'the elevator guys get what they want'.

I'm sure they do ,.. but I can't find anything that requires it .

I still say the myth was given birth by this requirement... click the link below it should give you the whole mass elevator code ,.. if any are interested
http://www.archive.org/stream/gov.ma.elevator/ma_elevator_djvu.txt
(7) Each machine room, sheave room or secondary level shall be electrically illuminated with
lighting of not less than ten foot candle at the floor level, and each lighting circuit shall be
provided with an enclosed type switch located within the room at the lock j amb of the entrance
door.

Last edited:

Rewire

I think by the third or forth time I would have been asking for the code reference just so I could better understand what needed to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.