does rehab construction allways require AFCI and other provisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

Does rehab construction require AFCI circuits and other code requirements where normally required. I'm wiring a hose rebuilt after a fire. House was rebuilt from the original basement and crawlspace as before the fire. I'm supposing the rewire would have to be exactly the same as before the fire to count as rehab wiring. If so; what else could be brought back to earlier code years on this job? This house is probably built 30+ years ago.

Thanks; HR...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Around here if you are replacing more that 50% of the wiring system, the complete wiring system would have to be brought up to the current code. If you are replacing less than 50%, then only what you are replacing would have to comply with the current code. This varies from place to place so you need to check with the AHJ.

howardrichman

Around here if you are replacing more that 50% of the wiring system, the complete wiring system would have to be brought up to the current code. If you are replacing less than 50%, then only what you are replacing would have to comply with the current code. This varies from place to place so you need to check with the AHJ.

OK; Thank You... I'll make a call.

HR...

kwired

Electron manager
Most places that project is all new from a wiring perspective. Maybe there is some things that were left in place, but sounds like you pretty much started over electrical wise.

I bet they don't install same windows, doors, thermal insulation, or other items of that nature as they did 30+ years ago either. Maybe similar looking but they probably meet newer energy codes or standards with whatever is used. Structural members and fire finish ratings are likely subject to new standards as well, no matter what was there before. And in some cases if that foundation isn't deemed suitable enough for current codes then it needs reinforced, repaired or even replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.