277 volt switch legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've search plenty and haven't found the answer I want. (LOL) Based on NYS 2008 nec are you required to use brown and grey or even better brown orange grey for 277 volt lighting switch legs if your using MC cable?
To expand on that thought, can you use black / white MC re-identified with marking tape for all the 277volt lighting circuitry? thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Can not speak for any local codes, which you appear to be asking about.

NEC doesn't specify any color for such an application. However it does require a method of identification for indicating what system and phase the conductor is associated with - and that is only required when more then one system is present. A single building with a single voltage system needs no color scheme at all other then what is reuquired for grounded/grounding conductors in all applications.

I myself in the situation described would likely have two wire or three wire (since we need a grounded conductor at the switch whether it is used or not)cable and if it were a 277/480 derived circuit would mark the black and red wires with the corresponding color to the phase they are connected to, and most likely mark the white with gray (assuming gray is my system color for the 277 neutral).

That would be if I got the most readily available 3 wire MC cable that contains black, red, white plus green conductors, if custom ordering cable with other colors - then by all means use the cable with the colors you need, but that is fairly impractical most of the time to have such color selections available.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I myself in the situation described would likely have two wire or three wire (since we need a grounded conductor at the switch whether it is used or not)cable and if it were a 277/480 derived circuit would mark the black and red wires with the corresponding color to the phase they are connected to, and most likely mark the white with gray (assuming gray is my system color for the 277 neutral).

I think that is compliant, as long as you put that information on the label required by 210.5(C)(1)(b).

Status
Not open for further replies.