Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Plaster on Wood Lath

Cutting Plaster on Wood Lath

I've been getting more and more jobs in houses with old wood lath and plaster. My method has always been to use a Rotozip with a tile cutting bit (I use the 1/4" bit hoping it will last longer than the 1/8" bit) to cut the plaster and then use a wood cutting Rotozip bit to cut the lath. Sometimes I burn the wood cutting bit up in the lath even if I go slow. This is a long process and the dust travels EVERYWHERE which isn't the customer's favorite thing to see.

What do you guys do? Tips or tricks appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by NewOnMyOwn View Post
    I've been getting more and more jobs in houses with old wood lath and plaster. My method has always been to use a Rotozip with a tile cutting bit (I use the 1/4" bit hoping it will last longer than the 1/8" bit) to cut the plaster and then use a wood cutting Rotozip bit to cut the lath. Sometimes I burn the wood cutting bit up in the lath even if I go slow. This is a long process and the dust travels EVERYWHERE which isn't the customer's favorite thing to see.

The newer rotozip have a vacumn port to attact a shop vac. Failing that it will take two people to hold a vac hose near the cutter. Once I have the plaster cut I don't have a problem burning bits on the wood lathe. Don't touch the plaster!!!! Same as a momentary dip in the dirt with a chain saw. Your Done!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewOnMyOwn View Post

Are you talking installing boxes where just wires are now? Asking because I just did 5 in a 1870 house. Half K&T half newer romex. No boxes in the ceilings on 1st floor. I sread a dropcloth took my roto zip and vaccum cleaner hose up the ladder and went at it.
    The more I learn the less I seem to know....

I also use a rotozip with a tile bit. But I use the tile bit on the lath as well. First I cut the plaster and knock it away. Then I use the bit to cut the lath slowly. I find there is less chance to burn out the tile bit with the wood.

I have also just purchased a Fien Tool. I have used it with a grout bit to cut into some very hard plaster. Then the wood blade to cut the lath. There is a lot less dust and following a straight line is very easy. I do have to remove some of the plaster in the corners by hand or I could roto zip that part as well. My employee loves the Fein tool as he butchers the plaster otherwise. (porbably saved his job).

I have the Craftsman version of the Fein tool. WHY? Because it is cordless. It is a very useful tool. The tool is only $99. Extra battery is $25. Flush cut blades are (2) for $12.

Yes the Fein is also a great tool. I wanted to try the Craftsman to see how it would work. I am happy to say it works quite well.

It is great for cutting in boxes, trimming 2x4's to get a box to fit, and just general cutting.

Plaster will chew up the wood blades, so yes, use a tile blade.

Oh, the Craftsman also has a vacuum port. I rarely use it though since it doesn't kick up a lot of dust.

You have to use a good shop vac when roto-zipping, or else the dust will be everywhere. The accessory head can be bought separately, with a nozzle for your vacuum hose:

We outline a square for the box with a drill 1/4" or smaller (many holes) then even off the edges of the plaster with a razor.

The wood lath is a PIA. We drill through the lath then snap off with needle nose.

The roto zip lost favor with us. We couldn't get the bits to last.
    Joe Howard
    Elec Contractor

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I kinda lied in the first post to make it easier, I actually have the Dewalt version of the Rotozip, not the Rotozip brand. Because of that, the vacuum attachment doesn't fit (I bought one and had to return it).

However if the Rotozip method is what you guys think is the best tool, I'll go buy a Rotozip brand model and vacuum attachment.

jzadroga, that's interesting that you use the Tile bit for the wood lath, definitely easier than changing out hot bits halfway thru the job. The wood lath doesn't dull the tile bit? Anyone else have any experience with this method?

old fashion way

Ive allways used the 1/4 masonary drill bit through the plaster and sometimes through the lath. After the holes are cut and the plaster is knocked away, I use a hacksaw blade to cut through the lath. I have found through trial and error it is best to cut 7/8 of the way of both sides of openning before finishing a final cut, it keeps the lathe from slapping away from the hole. Vertical spacing between the laths can vary for house to house for a cut-in box. I usually remove 2 1/8 laths, to remove 1/8 of a lath, make two vertical cuts with the hacksaw blade and split off the middle with pliers.