Reversing a non-reversing AC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDOC7

What are the ways to reverse an AC motor that's non-reversable? (single-phase, 2-phase, 3-phase) Thanks.

MDOC7

No question, and it's not homework, although it is academic. It's for someone else who's got a non-reversing motor.

EBFD6

I agree with ActionDave, all three phase motors are reversible. Single phase motors will depend on the motor.

MDOC7

I agree with ActionDave, all three phase motors are reversible. Single phase motors will depend on the motor.

Thanks. Supposing one end of the start winding is permanently connected, so that reversing the connections of the start winding is not possible on the motor. Can it still be reversed?

I assume it still can be reversed: just reverse the phase of one winding, assuming a 3-phase motor. Something like that. What would be the correct way to do it?

Last edited:

MDOC7

Let me add a related question, if I may. Here's a pix of the motor in question. I don't know yet whether it's single or 3-phase. If this is a single-phase motor to be used in a box fan and it's rotating the wrong way for the fan blades, what can be done, including external wiring, to reverse it?
motor_reverse.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We had this problem years ago with a Dayton whole house fan. We called the factory and was able to switch some of the wires and get the rotation to reverse. Not all single phase motors are reversible.

hurk27

That particular motor can be reversed by reversing the armature, and end caps, just like a shunt wound motor for a bath fan, few other motors can be done like this also but not many. this is effectively reversing the fields to the armature.
As long as the end caps can go on either end of the field housing this can be done.

Last edited:

SparkBox

Motor rotation

Motor rotation

Invert the motor mount or get a new fan blade with opposite rotation characteristics (cw or ccw) keeping the same diameter and pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.