Pullbox sizing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

If you have two 4" and two 2" conduits entering one side of a pullbox and instead of leaving another side like a straight pull or angle pull, they exit out of the top to go up to floors above, how do you size the dimensions of the box in this regard?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If you have two 4" and two 2" conduits entering one side of a pullbox and instead of leaving another side like a straight pull or angle pull, they exit out of the top to go up to floors above, how do you size the dimensions of the box in this regard?

That sounds like and angle-pull to me. Box should be sized per 314.28(A)(2).

Last edited:

cppoly

The conduits would enter horizontally on then go up vertically. Thinking about it, it would be an angle pull like you guys side. Here's where I'm getting stuck, the vertical conduits are transposed. So where the conduits enter horizontally, picture all of them go up vertically but rotated by 90 degrees. Does this change anything?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The conduits would enter horizontally on then go up vertically. Thinking about it, it would be an angle pull like you guys side. Here's where I'm getting stuck, the vertical conduits are transposed. So where the conduits enter horizontally, picture all of them go up vertically but rotated by 90 degrees. Does this change anything?

You need to maintain 6 times the trade size between conduits enclosing the same conductors.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Huh, no?:? Maybe. :blink:

Your clarification made it even worse for me.

kwired

Electron manager

Are you saying that as you face the box with the door/removable lid opened, all the raceways enter from say the left side, and then you have same four raceways leaving via the back wall (opposite the door or removable lid)?

If so I think this is still considered an angle pull.

Carultch

Are you saying that as you face the box with the door/removable lid opened, all the raceways enter from say the left side, and then you have same four raceways leaving via the back wall (opposite the door or removable lid)?

If so I think this is still considered an angle pull.

When conduits connect to the back of a pull box, 314.28 does not address sizing concerning this case. Instead, you need to anticipate the bend radius requirements of the wire, and thus provide a proper depth to the box, and distance from the corresponding raceway.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When conduits connect to the back of a pull box, 314.28 does not address sizing concerning this case. Instead, you need to anticipate the bend radius requirements of the wire, and thus provide a proper depth to the box, and distance from the corresponding raceway.
314.28(A)(2)Exception specifically addresses the case of a back panel entry opposite a removable cover.
There does not seem to be any other conditions on C as long as the entries are only on the four sides of the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So using the graphic the distance between the raceways is irrelevant?

I am not clear on your question.

According to David and Carultch you need to maintain 6X between the conduit entries I don't see that in your graphic.

You need to maintain 6 times the trade size between conduits enclosing the same conductors.

You need to maintain 6 times the trade size between conduit ENTRIES enclosing the same conductors.

So it isn't bushing-to-bushing. It is edge of hole to nearest edge of other hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.