msha not osha ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mryan

Mine Work MSHA Card - Study Material

Mine Work MSHA Card - Study Material

No, but I'm a licensed journeyman electrician in several states and I've seen alot of job postings for mine work requiring the MSHA card. I'm trying to find out how to study for that test. I think I qualify to work on the surface. I have alot of industrial experience and know how to go about how to take the test, just don't know what to study exactly. Any suggestions?

I work as an coal mine inspector in West Virginia. In order to get certified as a coal mine electrician, you have to be working at a coal mine that offers a training program. You have to pass a test to be allowed to enter the training proram. The training program lasts 2 years. You have to have classroom and hands on training. At the end of the 2 years, you take the certification test. I am a journeyman electrician but it does not count for anything around the coal mine. It is a totally different type of certification. Many underground coal mine laws concerning electricity are different than NEC. On surface mines and at preparation plants serving surface mines, electrical work must meet current NEC rules. Electricians doing construction at a surface or deep mine are considered "qualified" if they are coal mine certified or Fire Marshall certified. In WV, the Fire Marshall administers the electrical certifications. In WV, workers must comply with WVOMHST laws and MSHA laws when working on coal mine property.

ugminer

I work in an underground metals mine in Alaska as an electrician. I have worked in coal mines underground and surface in Colorado. I have worked in various other mines in Nevada and Colorado both open pit and underground. I hold an electrical certification (green card) and am a certified as an MSHA electrical trainer.

It is not required to hold an MSHA electrical cert to be an electrician in a metal/nonmetal mine but is desirable. Some individual mines may require it, but not MSHA.

You do have to hold the certification to work in coal. You can be qualified suface, underground or both. You'll have to work as a helper in the electrical field for at least a year. In district 9 you have to apply to MSHA to sit the test. You'll basically have to include a resume with your work history. MSHA will then either allow you to sit the test or decline you. They may ask for more information from you.

I also hold state journeyman licenses in Alaska, Wyoming and Colorado. I have done commercial work outside of the mines but keep coming back.

You will be required to be familiar with the NEC and CFRs (Code of Federal Regulations).

If you are still interested and want more info let me know.

mryan

Thank you for the information. I am interested and would like more information. I'm in the process right now of sending off my application requesting to sit for the test in District 9. If they do want me to have experience working in a mine prior to taking the test, then I don't know where or how to get that experience as all the job postings are requiring the MSHA card first. I guess I'll submit the application and see what they say and take it from there. Any other suggestions? Happy Thanksgiving.

jonorras

how is MSHA different from OSHA which is better

how is MSHA different from OSHA which is better

I was an ug mine electrician for 4 years. I am Ky and Wv cert. by Dept. of Mine Saftey. I also have my MSHA card. I am having trouble finding a job able to pay me the salary i used to make in the mines. I recently started working for a contractor bulding a slurry pump station for a prep plant, doing the wiring and conduit. Is it possibly to obtain an OSHA cert, by already having an MSHA? And what kind of jobs require OSHA cert, and how good is the pay?

jonorras

I got mine after i worked for a year as an apprentice, then i became certifed in WV. At the end of my first year as an cert elect. i went for my annual retraining and then i recieved my MSHA card

Status
Not open for further replies.