Has Anyone Used NSI Taps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Not sure if you have used them before - but the ones in the link you provided have a torque-off nut - when the exceed a certain/proper torque the nut shears off - handy... Some other brands don't have this feature...

I use them as "temporary" POCO connections when doing service upgrades. Our POCO wants to always replace any "temporary" connection (Any one that they did not make themselves) with their "permanent" connection - which usually takes 3-12 months for them to get around to it. So I cannot speak to it's reliability over that - that said I have not had one fail - or heard of one failing...

Other than that - much faster than a Polaris at nearly equal the cost - and 5 times faster than split-bolts. Since nothing needs to be stripped - IMO safer if dealing with energized open circuit conductors. Since time is money - these are cheap.

Another manufacturer I use quite often with these is Buchanan.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I, too, have used them, and love them.
icon14

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Thanks for feedback! Have used other brands not these, the one thing that slightly concerned me was the plastic "torque-off" nut. Will be installing these today.

roger3829

We used to use them for service changes since we did our own cut and tap. That's what our POCO wanted us to use. We used them for a couple of years then we had to stop because the POCO said there was too many termination failures.

fishin' electrician

We used to use them for service changes since we did our own cut and tap. That's what our POCO wanted us to use. We used them for a couple of years then we had to stop because the POCO said there was too many termination failures.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd check first if these are for POCO conductors. I never saw any of these failures myself, and other posters seem to like them, so the choice is yours if they aren't for the service connection.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Probably from the combination of outdoor use and the POCO's ever-so-slow process of re-termination. :roll:

Karl H

Really? They actually had the best results from our IR scans vs other mechanical splice methods (Split-Bolts).

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Just used them to tap 4 1/0 conductors into continuous 2/0 s.

Faster than burndys, seemed very well-engineered. Only drawback
I saw was their size compared to burndys, you need a lot of room. (This was in POCO entrance box.) Though in the end they probably aren't larger than a taped-up split bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.