Grounding bushing - 3/4" flex feeding receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello Fellow Industry Associates:

Is a grounding bushing required on the end of a 26' piece of 3/4" flexible metal conduit which is feeding 120-volt, 20-amp receptacles? I searched the code book and asked a few people including inspectors and the answer appears to be no. What is your opinion?

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
26' of flexible metal conduit can't be used as an EGC (equipment grounding conductor) so an EGC of the wire type must be used for the circuit.

With that being said, bonding bushings are not required on the flexible metal conduit provided that the conduit is connected to a metal box with listed fittings.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
why are you using 26 feet of FMC... thats a code violation right there!!! .

I can't find that violation in the Code, can you give me your reference ?
u need a bushing if conductors are #4 awg or larger also.

FMC can not be used as a grounding means in lengths over 6 ft. (250.118), so as Chris states, a grounding means needs to be provided.
Since the conduit itself (in lengths >6ft) is not a ground, a bonding bushing would be of no assistance in making it a ground means and would only be necessary to ground the conduit itself if, as stated, it does not have proper contact with a grounded box.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
why are you using 26 feet of FMC... thats a code violation right there!!! u need a bushing if conductors are #4 awg or larger also.

Sparks, there is no limit of length, only degrees of bend.

Roger

SEO

Like Roger said max number of degrees between pull points (360 degrees total) section 348.26 and properly supported per section 348.30.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hello Fellow Industry Associates:

Is a grounding bushing required on the end of a 26' piece of 3/4" flexible metal conduit which is feeding 120-volt, 20-amp receptacles? I searched the code book and asked a few people including inspectors and the answer appears to be no. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Does the FMC contain a wire EGC within the raceway?

Ravenvalor

Thanks for the great advice.

Thanks for the great advice.

I do appreciate all of the positive input into this topic. I will sleep better tonight knowing that I will not have to change anything.
To answer Infinity's question, there is an ECG in the FMC.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.