Oxygen rated receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I have a health care facility that has receptacles at the standard height. I was told that the inspector wants to move them up to 4' or above. The director say's,he heard of oxygen rated receptacles. Do they exist? I got this request after the supply house closed so you guy's are my link for the time being. I would rather move them up. It would be a nice job to start the new year. Happy Thanksgiving friends. GO LIONS....just kiddin!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since I'm breathing, I hope the receptacle my computer uses is oxygen rated :grin:
Kidding aside, it sounds like some misinformation. Healthcare facilities, in general, don't require any special receptacles. Specific areas require certain grounding techniques, specific grades of receptacles, and in hazardous locations, hazardous rated devices.
What portion the Health Care facility are we concerned with ? Patient Care area ? Critical Care areas ?

ceb58

I have a health care facility that has receptacles at the standard height. I was told that the inspector wants to move them up to 4' or above. The director say's,he heard of oxygen rated receptacles. Do they exist? I got this request after the supply house closed so you guy's are my link for the time being. I would rather move them up. It would be a nice job to start the new year. Happy Thanksgiving friends. GO LIONS....just kiddin!

First I would find out from the inspector as what was said and a code reference. The he said, he said, the inspector said makes for some mass confusion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Receptacles in Pediatric locations are required to be tamper resistant or must have a tamper resistant cover plate. 517.18(C).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What thread are you responding to?

Sorry, I missed adding the quote. I was responding to Augie's post about Healthcare facilities, in general, don't require any special receptacles.

He is correct that in general they don't but I was just pointing out that there is an exception for Pediatric Locations.

Dolfan

The correct answer is.......talk to the source,which is the inspector.I just thought you guys might know what this guy was reffering to. I'm loving the idea of some sort of actual construction project right across the street from my house. Up until now, I have mainly been doing little jobs here and there for the place......15000.00 in two month's.The worst part is.....rush hour traffic.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If the move to 4' AFF was because of oxygen that inspector needs some re-education. Oxygen is coincidentally the same density as the oxygen in the air we breath so it's not going to settle at floor level. I really think this guy is thinking of a commercial garage.

If for some reason this is not a patient care area and is somehow oxygen enriched (like a hyperbaric chamber) I believe that would be a Class 1, Div 1 area and would require explosion proof, not regular receptacles. Maybe that is what director is thinking about.

-Hal

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
Well, for about $150 you can get a super duper Oxygen Free Hospital Grade dual receptacle. A very few audiophiles just love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.