Suspended Ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire_nutz

Told to copy an existing installation.
(1) Low voltage LCD monitor mounted on wall.
(2) Power pack 120 VAC input with flexible cord and 6 to 9 VDC output with cord.
(3) Power pack to be installed above suspended ceiling.
(4) Install 120 volt receptacle above suspended ceiling for power pack.
(5) Fish L.V. output down wall with no raceway to LCD monitor.

I don?t believe this is an acceptable installation. Article 400.8 Flexible Cords & Cables, Uses Not Permitted (5) above suspended or drop ceilings.

Any other supporting code sections?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would have to agree with you. The outlet above the ceiling is legal but the unit with a rubber cord would not be code compliant

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I was unaware that a recep. cannot be put in the ceiling of a plenum. Please let me know the art.

300.22 (B) says that equipment and devices shall be permitted within such ducts or plenum chambers only if necessary for their direct action upon, or sensing of, the contained air.

It's near the bottom of the paragraph.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
300.22 (B) says that equipment and devices shall be permitted within such ducts or plenum chambers only if necessary for their direct action upon, or sensing of, the contained air.

It's near the bottom of the paragraph.

Read the FPN in art. 300.22(C). This is the article that pertains to hung ceilings as plenums.

jaylectricity

Occupation
Yes so where in this section does it state a receptacle is not allowed in a suspended ceiling. The section you quoted art. 300.122(B) does not apply to (C) which is what we are talking about.

I'm going to assume that's a typo. We were talking about B until you pointed out C. I then reviewed it and realized that you were talking about the correct article and read the first sentence which also prohibits receptacles above the ceiling.

So either way, you can't put a receptacle up there.

jaylectricity

Occupation
The wiring methods for such other space shall be limited to totally enclosed, nonventilated, insulated busway having no provisions for plug-in connections, (and then goes on to name various types of cables.)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'm going to assume that's a typo. We were talking about B until you pointed out C. I then reviewed it and realized that you were talking about the correct article and read the first sentence which also prohibits receptacles above the ceiling.

So either way, you can't put a receptacle up there.

Yes that was a typo. Here is the art. first sentence of C - I don't see anything about recep. I think you are confusing facts here.

C) Other Space Used for Environmental Air. This section applies to space used for environmental air-handling purposes other than ducts and plenums as specified in 300.22(A) and (B). It does not include habitable rooms or areas of buildings, the prime purpose of which is not air handling.
FPN: The space over a hung ceiling used for environmental air-handling purposes is an example of the type of other space to which this section applies.
Exception: This section shall not apply to the joist or stud spaces of dwelling units where the wiring passes through such spaces perpendicular to the long dimension of such spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.