GFPE - 2500 amp switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpat67

GFPE - Our 2500 amp switchgear has GFPE on the main. It arrived with no factory provision for bonding the neutral and ground. Has GFPE changed this rule in any way? Nothing in the manufacturers documentation suggests anything different. I would think that bonding would still be required on the line side on the neutral fault detection module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
If it it UL listed for service entrance equipment, a neutral to grounding bonding jumper is required from the factory.
If the equipment is not listed as service entrance it can be built wthout the jumper.

As you noted the NEC requires the bonding.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Rated for Service Equipment? Is so, it should have a neutral bonding provision and also a neutral disconnect link of some sort. I've inspected lots of service switchgear and they all came with both. If not SE, probably wouldn't need either, but most manufacturers make switchgear for either because it's cheaper to just build them all the same. At least that's what they told me at the meetings I used to go to.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
...but most manufacturers make switchgear for either because it's cheaper to just build them all the same. At least that's what they told me at the meetings I used to go to.

That would be true for panelboard construction, especially up to 1200A where the N-G can be a simple 'screw'. However, switchboards and switchgear usually don't include the removable bussing linkages and internal service entrance barriers for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.