Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJW

I just picked up a droid last week and my battery has gotten low but has always lasted the whole day. I have been playing, er working on it a lot the past couple days and haven't discharged it to the point where I had to go plug it in.

I have been loading music on it today and I noticed that it charges the battery from the computer USB connection similar to an IPOD.

How do you like it other than the battery issues? So far I like mine and I'm going to try to replace my GPS, camera, and IPOD with it. We will see how it works out.

Make sure to get the bubble ap for it. Very cool.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Once I figured out how to turn the sound On, I was a bit happier.

I like the added detail, street addresses, that are available in the contacts list and combined with google earth it makes for one fine addition. Hopefully I can figure out a way to import a complete customer and vender list from QB.

MJW

I think Quickbooks will let you export to an excel file and then you can load it on to your SD card on the phone. You might have to get an apllication to open and work with excel files. I think dataviz makes one.

If you don't already know, you will need to mount your SD card once the USB cable is connected or the computer wont see it. After the cable is connected a USB icon will apear in the upper left of the screen. Swipe down on that and follow the directions.

wireguru

there should be a bunch of stuff you can turn off to increase battery life. For example if wifi is enabled, the thing will constantly be looking for a wifi signal and eating battery.

MJW

That sucker is to little to mount!!

You will have to be a bit more specific. OF.

I have connected via USB and noticed I could not access the SD card directly. Haven't tried again lately. Had to email the spreadsheet. I have Documents to Go by Dataviz, full vs.

The USB connection actually shows up in your notification window that you pull down from the top. This is the window that shows missed calls, new voicemails, new messages, etc. When you open the notification window a message that says USB connectd appears. Hit that message and it will take you to another screen that gives you the option to mount the SD card, hit mount and you are good to go.

There is also an ap that allows you to turn the wifi on and off with one touch. I have it on my home screen and it is pretty handy.

I'm going to look into the code book for the droid. That would be pretty awsome if I could get it. I will let everyone know if I find it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The USB connection actually shows up in your notification window that you pull down from the top. This is the window that shows missed calls, new voicemails, new messages, etc. When you open the notification window a message that says USB connectd appears. Hit that message and it will take you to another screen that gives you the option to mount the SD card, hit mount and you are good to go.

There is also an ap that allows you to turn the wifi on and off with one touch. I have it on my home screen and it is pretty handy.

I'm going to look into the code book for the droid. That would be pretty awsome if I could get it. I will let everyone know if I find it.

OK, it has been mounted.
Managed to find out that the screen is the biggest user, 53%, of power for me.
WiFi was small @ 6% but I turned it off.
Don't think I want to attempt reading the NEC on that screen. Bad enough when full sized in hand.

wptski

Yep, not enough space for a larger battery.. OTOH, usually the power management takes a bit of tuning on the mfg's part, so I expect future releases to get a bit better. I'm thinking of getting a droid-phone myself.....
It more like they are a small PC! These features cost you battery life.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So you guys are finding that these smart phones need to be charged every night?

I'm looking at new phones, mine makes phantom calls to people in my phone book. I wouldn't use all the features, so I'm more just leaning towards one with a key board, so that I can text easier. But who knows, if I have it, I might use it.:)

MJW

The droid needs to be charged every night but the battery lasts all day. It also has a keyboard in fact that is what I am using now.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The droid needs to be charged every night but the battery lasts all day. It also has a keyboard in fact that is what I am using now.

Yeah, but mine stays charged all week now, unless I use it alot. The reasons it needs to be charged sounds about right though from what everyone was saying.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
So you guys are finding that these smart phones need to be charged every night?

I'm looking at new phones, mine makes phantom calls to people in my phone book. I wouldn't use all the features, so I'm more just leaning towards one with a key board, so that I can text easier. But who knows, if I have it, I might use it.:)

I have an iPhone and a Droid because I write software for them as a hobby.

For most people, I would definitely recommend the iPhone as easier to use
and better designed with the user in mind. Once you have the convenience
of a smart phone, you won't likely want to go back.

Most of the people I know who have Droids are either geeks like myself
(the software development environment is much better than the iPhone
imo, but that is irrelevant to most people) or are stuck on Verizon because
of a company or family plan.

Both the iPhone and Droid have features the other lacks, and they
are the two best phones I've ever seen - pretty close call. It you look
at their website and find something you can't live without, go for it.
For my friends and family, I tell them that they aren't going to beat
the simplicity of using the iPhone, although the Android phones are likely
to get better all the time.

My 2 cents.

danickstr

I looked for NEC app for iphone, but did not see it. Lots of fun elec apps, like box and conduit fill calculators, and one other I got for elec (phone upstairs).

I use the Mili (also there is the Mophie) to quadruple battery life and doubles as a case. I use the timer to "not burn" my PVC melts.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If someone knows of a good PDF reader for iPhone, that would be good to know. I've tried "Good Reader" and "Documents To Go" and neither of them support the bookmarks included in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.