Lighting Contactor serving (2) different voltage circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

I think I asked this question before but no one has given me a clear answer. We had same design issue this morning, so I will try again:

- Will it violate any codes if we use 6-pole lighting contactor to feed both 120V and 277V lighting circuits since there is no physical divider between these two different voltage circuits at the lighting contactor. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No Code violation that I know of, but you need to comply with 210.5 for conductor identification.

RUWired

I think I asked this question before but no one has given me a clear answer. We had same design issue this morning, so I will try again:

- Will it violate any codes if we use 6-pole lighting contactor to feed both 120V and 277V lighting circuits since there is no physical divider between these two different voltage circuits at the lighting contactor. Thanks!

Are any of these circuits emergency circuits?

anbm

No, they are normal power circuits. I thought I read somewhere in NEC doesn't allow 120V and 277V light switches to share same gang box...and was thinking lighting contactor can be considered as light switches.

SG-1

since there is no physical divider between these two different voltage circuits at the lighting contactor. Thanks!

There is a barrier between each pole of the contactor.

If you are uneasy since this is a little unusual you could make or have made a namelpate or lable that lists the voltage to ground, or voltage phase to phase on each pole, so the next electrician will have a heads up.

benaround

No, they are normal power circuits. I thought I read somewhere in NEC doesn't allow 120V and 277V light switches to share same gang box...and was thinking lighting contactor can be considered as light switches.

I can see your reasoning but, snap switch is defined in art. 100. and a contactor or

controller is also in art. 100.

Running the 120 and 277 thru the contactor is not in violation of the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can see your reasoning but, snap switch is defined in art. 100. and a contactor or

controller is also in art. 100.

Running the 120 and 277 thru the contactor is not in violation of the NEC.

I agree, a snap switch and a lighting controller are two different animals. We use contactors to control lights from both voltage systems quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.