430.101 et el

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZCBee

Hi, Can an MCC bucket that both disconnect the control power and the three motor leads satisfy the requirements of 430.101 through 430.102?

And, can this MCC be out of sight as long as exception 430.102(B)(2) exception(b) is met? Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hi, Can an MCC bucket that both disconnect the control power and the three motor leads satisfy the requirements of 430.101 through 430.102?

And, can this MCC be out of sight as long as exception 430.102(B)(2) exception(b) is met? Thanks
As put forth, the answer is yes.

david

430.102 (A) is dealing with the location of the controller and the location of the controller?s disconnect.

430.102 (B) is dealing with the location of the disconnect for the motor.

430.102 (B)(2) exception condition (b) would allow for the motor disconnect to be eliminated as long as 430.102 (A) is met.
The location of the controller to the motor
And the location of controller disconnect to the controller.

"And, can this MCC be out of sight as long as exception 430.102(B)(2) exception(b) is met? Thanks"

out of sight of what?

ZCBee

430.102 (A) is dealing with the location of the controller and the location of the controller?s disconnect.

430.102 (B) is dealing with the location of the disconnect for the motor.

430.102 (B)(2) exception condition (b) would allow for the motor disconnect to be eliminated as long as 430.102 (A) is met.
The location of the controller to the motor
And the location of controller disconnect to the controller.

"And, can this MCC be out of sight as long as exception 430.102(B)(2) exception(b) is met? Thanks"

out of sight of what?

Out of sight of the motor being disconnected. Thanks

ZCBee

A bit more info

A bit more info

I guess my question is more of an OSHA compliance question so if there is anyone that might have experience with this, I will be gratefull. Well, here is my dilemma, I have two motor disconnect switches attached to the side of the machine in question, within sight of the motors for this equipment. They are accessible but not readily accessible. The MCC is readily accessible but not within sight of the machinery. We also have LOTO procedures in place and my question is, with the motor disconnects not readily accessible but the MCC being readily accessible, plus the LOTO procedures, can I lock out only the MCC bucket? Will this satisfy OSHA? Ouch, to many rules!

david

As long as the Motor control center is in sight of the motor’s controller or the motor controller has a disconnect within sight, and the locking requirements of 430.102 (B) (2) exception are provided.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As long as the Motor control center is in sight of the motor?s controller or the motor controller has a disconnect within sight, and the locking requirements of 430.102 (B) (2) exception are provided.
No.

The MCC does not have to be within sight of the motor.
IX. Disconnecting Means

430.101 General.
Part IX is intended to require disconnecting
means capable of disconnecting motors and controllers
from the circuit.
(FPN's omitted for brevity)

430.102 Location.
(A) Controller.
An individual disconnecting means shall
be provided for each controller and shall disconnect the
controller. The disconnecting means shall be located in
sight from the controller location.
(Exceptions omitted for brevity)
(B) Motor.
A disconnecting means shall be provided for a
motor in accordance with (B)(1) or (B)(2).
(1) Separate Motor Disconnect.
A disconnecting means
for the motor shall be located in sight from the motor location
and the driven machinery location.
(2) Controller Disconnect.
The controller disconnecting
means required in accordance with 430.102(A) shall be
permitted to serve as the disconnecting means for the motor
if it is in sight from the motor location and the driven
machinery location.
Exception to (1) and (2): The disconnecting means for the
motor shall not be required under either condition (a) or
condition (b), provided the controller disconnecting means
required in accordance with 430.102(A) is individually capable
of being locked in the open position. The provision
for locking or adding a lock to the controller disconnecting
means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit
breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain
in place with or without the lock installed.
(a) Where such a location of the disconnecting means
for the motor is impracticable or introduces additional or
increased hazards to persons or property
(b) In industrial installations, with written safety procedures,
where conditions of maintenance and supervision
ensure that only qualified persons service the equipment

david

As long as the Motor control center is in sight of the motor?s controller or the motor controller has a disconnect within sight, and the locking requirements of 430.102 (B) (2) exception are provided.

I said the MCC had to be in sight of the motors controller not the motor.

Eliminating the local disconnect at the motor and using the MCC lockable disconnect as the controllers disconnect and the motors disconnect is ok as long as the MCC disconnect is in sight of the controller. If not the controller would need a lockable disconnect

The original poster stated that the MCC is disconnecting both the control conductors and the motor conductors.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I said the MCC had to be in sight of the motors controller not the motor.

Eliminating the local disconnect at the motor and using the MCC lockable disconnect as the controllers disconnect and the motors disconnect is ok as long as the MCC disconnect is in sight of the controller. If not the controller would need a lockable disconnect

The original poster stated that the MCC is disconnecting both the control conductors and the motor conductors.
A typical MCC bucket for a motor contains the controller, i.e. the bucket is a motor starter... the main reason why multi-bucket equipment is called an Motor Control Center). Granted, trends have taken us to where MCC's are also used as more basic switchgear, so you do make a valid point in that the exception for the motor disconnecting means does not affect the in sight of requirement between the controller and its disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.