Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling I-Beams and bar joists ?

Drilling I-Beams and bar joists ?

Can you drill metal I-beams ,bar joist's in a manufacturing plant to hang box's ,strap's etc .... Is there a code on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Davebones View Post
    Can you drill metal I-beams ,bar joist's in a manufacturing plant to hang box's ,strap's etc .... Is there a code on this ?
    There is no NEC code on it, I see it done often.
    Frank Arizona,USA

I hear people say it will weaken the structure .All the time I've been in the trade we were allowed unless it had a fireproofing sprayed on it . Our carpenter at work is questioning this . I wanted to see what other people had to say ...

The building codes have a limit as to the size of holes and the placement.
    As far as I know there are no restrictions on standdard holes for mounting equipment.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

If it weakens the structure, they better find a new way to fasten the roofing to the

beams ??
    Frank Arizona,USA

A powder actuated fastener would be much faster. Otherwise, what prevents you from just using beam clamps? Not being critical, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Davebones View Post
    I hear people say it will weaken the structure .All the time I've been in the trade we were allowed unless it had a fireproofing sprayed on it . Our carpenter at work is questioning this . I wanted to see what other people had to say ...
    carpenter? Are you talking about drilling engineered I joists (wood), or steel I beams?

We do it all the time and thread our rod with the 300, when they speck no beam clamps, all thread or unistrut.

We use tex5 screws when we can.

carpenter? Are you talking about drilling engineered I joists (wood), or steel I beams?
    Attention to the OP might help.. don't know... I've drilled (seems like a lot of work) beam clamped and stuck threaded rod between the joists, Tech5, shot a cap. Seems more like what the job spec's will let you do, as opposed to what one would like to do.
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

we use a stud gun to weld a internal threaded stud to a beam. You can then mount a box or attach all thread.