Ungrounded metal box outside and other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

A buddy of mine asked me to look at a $10,000+ complete rewire of his grandson's old house.

I started out looking at the wiring in the gazebo because that was the first thing on the path from the car to the house. I found a conduit coming up from the ground into a metal cast box with a grounding screw and a GFCI, a gland fitting with NM coming out of the top of the box to another metal box containing the light switch. From that box cable continued up to another box containing
another GFCI under the roof which also had a cable going to a lighting fixture. The lighting fixture was a new LED device.

There was one piece of UF, with the rest NM.

Here are the problems I found:

0) Unable to determine if wire in conduit was rated for wet locations

1) Use of NM-B cable in a damp location (Gazebo poles and under roof).
100 Location, Damp
100 Location, Wet
334.10(A) describes NM -- no mention of damp/wet but 334.10(B) NMC mentions damp/wet -- hence NM can not be used in damp/wet locations

2) Use of GFCI outdoors that is not listed/marked as WR.
406.4(D)(6)
406.9(A) and (B)

3) Ground wires twisted together without using a listed connector
110.14(B)

4) Metal box ungrounded
-- using a Low-Z DVM I read 123VAC hot--neutral; 123VAC hot--ground wire; 0.063VAC hot--ground screw on box
250.96(A)

5) GFCI used to feed 24 hour circuit plugged into it without an in-use cover.
406.9(B)(2)(a)

6) GFCI not-in-use cover mounted sideways, opening left to right, not up to down
110.3(B)

Interested in an evaluation of these results. [2011 is current adopted code -- no amendments]
This was just the tip of the iceberg.

growler

A buddy of mine asked me to look at a $10,000+ complete rewire of his grandson's old house.

How long ago was the job completed? Who did the work? Was the job permitted and inspected?
Was there a contract?

I would look at the contract or other paperwork to see if the Gazebo was even covered in the rewire contract. Was the contract for a complete rewire?

The reason I ask these questions is that people often think they are getting one thing and the paperwork says something different.

fmtjfw

How long ago was the job completed? Who did the work? Was the job permitted and inspected?
Was there a contract?

I would look at the contract or other paperwork to see if the Gazebo was even covered in the rewire contract. Was the contract for a complete rewire?

The reason I ask these questions is that people often think they are getting one thing and the paperwork says something different.

Completed --- this week
Who did the work --- don't know I was just asked to check the work
Permitted and inspected --- City is currently forbidden from issuing building permits and inspecting by state fire marshal because the city "invented" their own building code and city inspectors have not fulfilled licensing requirements. Service entrance replacement inspected by private inspector so POCO would energize it. He only did from service head to main disconnect (in meter/CB combo box) and proper grounding. Passed.
Contract --- yes. I haven't seen it but the owner states was for complete rewire and replacement of all conductors.
Gazebo -- New LED fixture would indicate someone thought it was part of the work.

kwired

Electron manager
Completed --- this week
Who did the work --- don't know I was just asked to check the work
Permitted and inspected --- City is currently forbidden from issuing building permits and inspecting by state fire marshal because the city "invented" their own building code and city inspectors have not fulfilled licensing requirements. Service entrance replacement inspected by private inspector so POCO would energize it. He only did from service head to main disconnect (in meter/CB combo box) and proper grounding. Passed.
Contract --- yes. I haven't seen it but the owner states was for complete rewire and replacement of all conductors.
Gazebo -- New LED fixture would indicate someone thought it was part of the work.

If all they did at the gazebo is change a lighting fixture - that doesn't necessarily mean they need to fix any other code issues found at the gazebo.

Going back to one thing mentioned in OP - if it is all new work covered by 2011 NEC - all outdoor receptacle covers 15/20 amp 125 volt are required to be weatherproof while in use no more rules limited to only specific use receptacles.

growler

Permitted and inspected --- City is currently forbidden from issuing building permits and inspecting by state fire marshal because the city "invented" their own building code and city inspectors have not fulfilled licensing requirements.

I don't like the sound of that. There are areas where it's really hard to enforce the NEC and other building codes and the local contractors know it.

fmtjfw

Did the owner give them their final check for job completion ? If so are they required to give a one year warranty ? Did the contract state that all work would be code compliant and give a code cycle?

Final Check -- given, then he came back with another bill -- I know foolish owners
Warranty -- don't know, WV is an implied warranty state -- good point
Code compliant -- don't know what the contract states -- electricians are required to do code compliant work -- only other code that could be used is 2014

I'm going to try to get a copy of the contract For Mine Interest if for nothing else.

growler

If you have a contract to rewire a house that doesn't necessarily include, pools, barns, detached garages or other out building and structures.

But then again if they did use ambiguous language like that it could work against them in a court of law. With a contract the more precise language the better.

fmtjfw

If all they did at the gazebo is change a lighting fixture - that doesn't necessarily mean they need to fix any other code issues found at the gazebo.

Going back to one thing mentioned in OP - if it is all new work covered by 2011 NEC - all outdoor receptacle covers 15/20 amp 125 volt are required to be weatherproof while in use no more rules limited to only specific use receptacles.

Yep depends on the contract or perhaps the judge if the contract is not precise.

Thanks for the easier reference 406.9(B)(1)

fmtjfw

I agree

I agree

I don't like the sound of that. There are areas where it's really hard to enforce the NEC and other building codes and the local contractors know it.

But perhaps that was the only tool the Fire Marshal had to slap them into compliance. This -- of course -- hit the city in the pocket book. This still wending its way through the courts.

kwired

Electron manager
You get local contractors that don't even know they are doing things against codes because nobody ever calls them on it. This for all trades not just electrical.

growler

Final Check -- given, then he came back with another bill -- I know foolish owners.

It is possible on a complete rewire to have a bill for additional work performed.

A complete rewire may not cover such things as flood lights if they are not installed to start with and mentioned in the contract. Adding fan and dimmers, any landscape lighting. Owner may decide in the middle of a job to add a bunch of can lights.

Find out what the bill was for and if a change order was signed.

fmtjfw

You get local contractors that don't even know they are doing things against codes because nobody ever calls them on it. This for all trades not just electrical.

I attribute some of the consistently incorrect treatment of ground wires and box bonding to this. If you could force him to come back and fix the problems I'm not sure he would know how.

fmtjfw

So we'll see how this goes

So we'll see how this goes

So the Owner, Grandpa, and the electrician had a heart-to-heart last evening (While I was at the annual "don't dig up the gas pipeline -- and if you do, certainly don't put out the ensuing fire" dinner and meeting.)

Grandpa showed electrician the scrawled sheet with the problems and code references I left with him and mumbled Fire Marshal. Apparently the guy understands who issues his license and who can take it away. So he agreed to come and fix everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.