clean power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I would just like to clarify what the meaning of clean power refers to on a commercial site. I think i have an understanding of it which is that some of the branch circuits would require an isolated ground run to them for operation of sensitive equipment. Would this be correct?

IMHO, no. Isolated grounding usually does little to nothing for "power quality", which of course, depends on your definition of it, anyway.

I'd describe "clean power" as being relatively free from noise and harmonic distortion and relatively immune to short-duration voltage spikes/surges/sags*. Also that there is little to no voltage between the neutral and ground leads and what there is isn't noise.

*if the line voltage varies gradually over a long term, like 122 in the night and 115 in the day, I don't really consider that a quality issue. OTOH if it sags from 122 to 115 for a only couple of cycles, I take a different view.

Besoeker

I thought it was a reference power generation that does not result in greenhouse gas emissions.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Part of the Electronics glossary:

1. Clean electricity is electrical power that is free from voltage spikes and drops. Voltage ripple or noise that is outside the ideal sine waveform is sometimes referred to as dirty electricity or electrical pollution.

Dirty electricity can cause electronics to perform poorly, especially microelectronics. High voltage spikes, for example, can cause electronic component damage, both immediate and long-term, computer memory loss, program corruption and operating errors. Because electrical pollution can damage equipment and decrease the lifespan of hardware, it is a particular cause of concern for data center administrators.
The quality of electricity is influenced by everything up to and in between the electricity provider and the electronic equipment in question. An uninterruptable power supply (UPS) can help protect electronics when local power is dirty.

2. In a slightly different context, clean electricity, also known as green electricity or green energy, is electrical power produced by methods that use renewable energy resources and do not cause pollution. Clean electricity generation methods include photovoltaic solar, geothermal, wind, tidal, rain and waste heat recovery technologies.

Johnnybob

Clean power

Clean power

Clean power, as I see it, is power through an Isolation transformer! I have, on my plant site, 6 SOLA 120v:120v transformers that I use to power PLC CPUs, as well as grade mark readers and any other sensitive (and/or expen$ive) equipment. I have learned the hard way the restored power outages are hard on power supplies, for sure. And alot of times in the spring, for instance, we have lightning storms that fault our VFDs, hate to have that kind of spike in a processor!:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.