Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nmc cable

nmc cable

Has anyone seen NMC cable? It is referenced in 547. None of my suppliers know of it and I cannot find it on Southwire or Rome Cable websites.

Most NM I see is NMB. Anyone out there seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    Has anyone seen NMC cable? It is referenced in 547. None of my suppliers know of it and I cannot find it on Southwire or Rome Cable websites.

Most NM I see is NMB. Anyone out there seen this?
    I'm pretty sure I saw the stuff once, but I'm pretty old. Most use FY in its place
    Charlie

I got curious and called Southwire, Tech Support. The tech there had read of it too, but knew of no mfr producing it. It's apparently been on someone's drawing board enough to be recognized, but not enough demand for anyone to produce it. I guess it's another chicken and egg thing.

A quote from a U.L. website concerning Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cables, UL 719 "Type NMC cable is for use in dry, moist, damp, and corrosive locations, and Type NM cable is for use in normally dry locations. Both types carry the suffix letter "-B" to designate the use of conductors with 90°C insulation."

Might be handy stuff, if it actually exists.
    Last edited by G0049; 02-25-10 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add comment.

If you are wiring a barn then it sounds like PVC or MC cable would be the way to go. Some have used EMT but I would check with the inspector before I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
    I got curious and called Southwire, Tech Support. The tech there had read of it too, but knew of no mfr producing it. It's apparently been on someone's drawing board enough to be recognized, but not enough demand for anyone to produce it. I guess it's another chicken and egg thing.
    So much for Tech support
    Take a look at this product sheet from Soutwire
    http://www.southwire.com/products/CUUFB.htm
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

I had a picture of it from a website, but have never seen the product.
    Perhaps its like NM-S or the dodo bird.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

I'll have to look at that website. A lot of the nm sold now is marked NMB. Southwire's website only mentions NMB and specifies it for dry locations, not damp or wet. So the B alone does not necessarily mean anything apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    If you are wiring a barn then it sounds like PVC or MC cable would be the way to go. Some have used EMT but I would check with the inspector before I did that.
    If I get the job, I'll do it with UF and PVC, PVC boxes, etc. I was just curious about the NMC cable, as I hadn't seen it around that I knew of. Strange how the codebook lists it but no one makes it. Maybe some mfr was working on it and got code officials to recognize it so the mfr would have a market for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    I had a picture of it from a website, but have never seen the product.
    Perhaps its like NM-S or the dodo bird.
    i used to have a sample of nm-s
    Charlie