rwreuter

Dishwasher - 422 - marked rating max load labeled
Garb - 422 & 430 - Table 430.248 ? ? = 9.8A leaves 10A for the dishwasher
Cords - 422.16 & 400
Circuit - 422.10(B), 210.23, 334 & 310.16 ? 12/2 romex complies
Duplex receptacle - 210.21 ? 15A complies
Breaker - 422.11 & 430.53(B) ? one 20A complies
Any mistakes?

9.8a leaves 10a for the dishwashwer.....

i just looked at 3 dishwashers and 2 of them had a 10 amp load and the other was 9.8 amps.

anyway you look at it, i just don't want to wire ANYTHING (regardless of whether the NEC allows it or not) to where it will be operated at max load.

to me that just isn't good wiring practices.......:-?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's approach this from another angle:

Has anyone here actually experienced a "dish & garb together" (I had no idea what that meant at first :confused: :roll:) trip a 20a circuit breaker?

tryinghard

i just looked at 3 dishwashers and 2 of them had a 10 amp load and the other was 9.8 amps.

anyway you look at it, i just don't want to wire ANYTHING (regardless of whether the NEC allows it or not) to where it will be operated at max load.

to me that just isn't good wiring practices.......:-?
Honestly if I had these specs before/while wiring I would put them together either.

tryinghard

Some rationalization can include the dishwashers max load includes its heat and other loads on. The garb really is intermittently operated, so its start up load while the dish is really at full load is very unlikely. The circuit conductor is rated for up to 25A.
I gota go, I'm doing the dishes [smile]

Last edited:

e57

Let's approach this from another angle:

Has anyone here actually experienced a "dish & garb together" (I had no idea what that meant at first :confused: :roll:) trip a 20a circuit breaker?
Actually - yes. Go figure someone accidently made a breaker that tripped at it's rating. Bryant if I remember right.

iwire

Staff member

Larry it never pays to ask questions like that as someone will always say yes.

You could ask, 'Has any one seen a grizzly bear wiring a hot tub while eating a cherry pie?' and someone will say yes. :grin:

e57

Larry it never pays to ask questions like that as someone will always say yes.

You could ask, 'Has any one seen a grizzly bear wiring a hot tub while eating a cherry pie?' and someone will say yes. :grin:
For the record - I have never seen a grizzly bear near a hot tub, while eating cherry pie... Have you? ;)

rwreuter

Some rationalization can include the dishwashers max load includes its heat and other loads on. The garb really is intermittently operated, so its start up load while the dish is really at full load is very unlikely. The circuit conductor is rated for up to 25A.
I gota go, I'm doing the dishes [smile]

the conductor may be rated at that but the ocp isn't. though i can't tell you exactly how a breaker trips and whether or not one trips at 20amps or more. maybe breakers are designed to trip just beyond the 20amps and after a sustained load for so long i just don't know.

unlikely or not, if you were to run the "unlikely" past a home owner or inspector with those numbers i can assure you no one would agree that it is right.

tryinghard

Actual Results from This Old House

Actual Results from This Old House

Dish only on = 9.5A
? hp Garb on with dish on = 12A
? hp Garb on grinding ice with dish = 14A
Circuit and length = 12-2 romex 60?+
OCP = 20A bulldog pushmatic, one circuit

Reuslts: My dishwasher is getting tired it's labeled 9A max! (do them by hand)

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ive seen people take 1 20 amp circuit to a three way switch and off one traveler supply the dish washer and off the other supply the disposal so that there would simutaniously work.

Don't you mean they would not simultaniously work? FWIW......I have never seen a problem with the DW & Disposal on the same 20A circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.