Tis the season. No calls coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.

dduffee260

We are building a new 25,000 sq ft office, warehouse and training complex for ourselves right now. We officially break ground next Tuesday but will actually pour slab starting next Wednesday. We have faith that the future will be bright.

I have often heard that the best time to build is during a recession. I know some of the sub's prices came in much below what they would have been last year. Wish us luck !!

bradleyelectric

It's been slow here for around 2 years.

I ran into someone yesterday 2 truck guy and asked him how he was doing and he said he just laid off someone and wasn't sure how much longer he would make it. Was talking with another guy at the supply house yesterday that has 3 trucks and he's loosely partnered with a guy that has 2 trucks and said they are just doing all they can to get the work and going and doing it and working out who is paying who on the fly. They aren't the cheapest guy in town crowd and have good heads and it looks like they are doing well keeping the 5 trucks busy.

We have been doing some low cost marketing and it has been paying off recently. Who is your customer? How do they know to call you and not someone else? How would they like to find you? How can you put yourself in the hands of your customer?

Over 70% of our work last month was existing customers. We market to them.

I need to update a marketing plan with goals as to how I'm going to develop new relationships. I have been doing some of the marketing but haven't put the goals on paper.

I am constantly thinking established companies with established relationships are now fair game due to their electricians may be in serious trouble and they may need someone that is still viable that is dependable. How do you market to them? If they don't know you are who they are looking for how can you expect them to call you?

Look for opportunities. Not problems.

AV ELECTRIC

It looked like things were picking up at the end of the summer and after that the sound of silence . Most calls are bargain hunters they can smell the blood in the water . I think the future is bright for the ones that survive .

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i have been averaging 60 hours a week for the last 5 months, and up until last week; but the well has finally gone dry. I haven't done much this week, and honestly, I needed it badly. I have a handful of small jobs lined up over the next three weeks but nothing big.

In what may seem as a strange twist, I've received several calls about bidding new residential; sounds like thats about to crank back up around here. Looks like I may be getting back into new residential for awhile. Some laid off electricians have called looking for work, and they're willing to work extremely cheap, so it may work out.

Power Tech

Been working 4 days a week, and loving it (Get Smart).

Took a day off and caught 10 Stripers to 8 pounds.

I haven't been fishing, or taken a day off for years.

I think we have all been pushing hard for the past 6 years. Things were crazy.

I need to find a more balanced life.

Power Tech

It looked like things were picking up at the end of the summer and after that the sound of silence . Most calls are bargain hunters they can smell the blood in the water . I think the future is bright for the ones that survive .

Just had a house to bid, I didn't even call them back.

What is worse, not calling them back, or telling them I charge $150 as a bid service.

Years back I ran 100's of miles bidding work for nothing. I will not be so gullible in the future.

e57

Good time to send Season's Greetings to your good customers. ;)
A Plumber I used to work with, who I have also used at my home - so I am on his customer list.... Sends me a hand signed Christmas Card - EVERY YEAR. (He's Jewish - but why would that matter... :roll:) He's gotta do several hundred of them every year - for the last 20 years or so... Says his hand is on fire when he's done - but says people remember it when the call him back...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Happy Hanukkah Larry, PJ and everyone.
Thanx, everyone!
menorah.gif

And Merry Christmas!
tree.gif

kbsparky

Busy as beavers, had to go back to working 5 days a week.

We have been on 4-day work weeks most of the year, and just when I wanted to take a couple weeks off for the holidays, I get clobbered!

I told my wife we could always take our annual road trip in January ....

Status
Not open for further replies.