Dishwasher and garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

Is there any code violation with taking 1 20amp circuit to a three way switch and off of one traveler hitting the disposal and off the other hitting the dishwasher so that there work simutaniously.

480sparky

Is there any code violation with taking 1 20amp circuit to a three way switch and off of one traveler hitting the disposal and off the other hitting the dishwasher so that there work simutaniously.

Would not a 3-way prevent them from working simultaneously?

GSXR600

If you ran the dish washer off one traveler and the dish washer off another they could both be energized at the same time. when the dishwasher is running and you flip on the disposal the dish washer would shut off

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What you mean is that one 20a circuit could supply both appliances, because the 3-way would prevent simultaneous operation, right?

I've seen the same thing done to supply a clothes dryer from a water-heater circuit. I believe it's compliant, and may have even read it.

480sparky

If you ran the dish washer off one traveler and the dish washer off another they could both be energized at the same time. when the dishwasher is running and you flip on the disposal the dish washer would shut off

So you are running power to the common terminal first? If so, you cannot have both running at the same time.

I guess I'm con-fused.
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

GSXR600

right they wouldnt run at the same time thats the point or else the circuit would more than likely be over loaded

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
right they wouldnt run at the same time thats the point or else the circuit would more than likely be over loaded
The confusion was because you meant "supplied" simultaneously, while we meant "energized" simultaneously.

480sparky

Is it a good idea to turn the dishwasher off and on like that? Maybe some electronically-controlled DWs won't start back up when power is restored. Besides, you're adding another switch to the mix, something that most folks aren't used to.

All I can imagine is Jill Taylor saying "TIIIiiiiim!"......

Cavie

You would have to put both on seperate recepticals so you could unplug the disp when you turned of the dw to work on it. So I don't see the need to put the DW on the 3/w.

e57

No code violation - but it may violate your customers idea of it working correctly....

Insinkerator makes a switch (Commonly called an 'Air switch') it does the same to allow an insta-hot water heater. It switches the power from the water heater to GD then back. However - if you did this with most dishwashers it would shut off, then the GD would start, then when the power went back to the DW - nothing would happen. You would need to re-start it, and possibley at the begining of the cycle...

rwreuter

ok great...it is not wrong per the code but why would you want to do that when wiring a new house with fresh circuits???????????

"uhm, mr home owner, you can run your dishwasher but while you are doing that you can't operater your disposal. oh, by the way that will 4k for me wiring you new house."

if i was the homeowner, i'd tell you that you are smoking crack, you will fix that.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ok great...it is not wrong per the code but why would you want to do that when wiring a new house with fresh circuits???????????
It's easy enough when you're told (accurately) what apliances will be installed, and what their electrical requirements are.

Status
Not open for further replies.