Flu Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I have a job Monday where I need to get a run of 10/3 from basement to the second story of an older home, circa1910-20, for a dryer.

I spent some time there yesterday devising a plan of attack. The owner doesn't want me to pipe up the side of the house and I could not locate a suitable chase anywhere. This home has gone through extensive changes over the years, walls moved etc.

There is an old brick chimney which I plan on using. The part that extended through the roof has been removed and it appears to be accessable from the attic. I plan on opening it up in the basement and using jack chain to fish a wire down from the attic.

Sounds easy enough but I have never attempted this before and would welcome any comments or tips from the "been there, done that" crowd.

ultramegabob

dont be surprised if the chimney is full of brick and mortar that they dropped down inside when they removed the top section.....

TwinCitySparky

There is an old brick chimney which I plan on using. The part that extended through the roof has been removed and it appears to be accessable from the attic. I plan on opening it up in the basement and using jack chain to fish a wire down from the attic.

If you are actually opening up the closed off chimney as you say to use as its interior flu, you could drop a pull wire down from attic to attach to and pull up. Cake-work.

If you are pulling next to the chimney - use a small round fishing lure weight and attach to end of jack-chain. If you have a fairly clean path, it can be worked so that it bounces off the sharp brick edges all the way down to the basement.

I'm sure you checked the plumbing vent stacks - I usually have better luck with the sloppy holes the plumbers drilled thru for these...

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jeff, have you looked carefully around the outside walls? Some older houses have foundation-to-roof stud spaces, and some have furring-strip space (typ. 3/4") on all four exterior walls.

I attached a plumb-bob weight to my welded-link chain with a split key ring. Plenty heavy enough, and any cable will fit where the weight will. It's one like this, and it already had a cross-drilled hole in the thin section:

6244156.jpg

Last edited:

480sparky

.............I'm sure you checked the plumbing vent stacks - I usually have better luck with the sloppy holes the plumbers drilled thru for these...

That's my thought as well. I've rarely seen a plumber use a drill to run the main stack. Usually they use a sawzall.

ElectricianJeff

That's my thought as well. I've rarely seen a plumber use a drill to run the main stack. Usually they use a sawzall.

I did look at the plumbing chases, this property started out a Single family, was converted to a duplex and back to a single family. I spent a bit of time there and could not find a good alternative.

I appreciate all the good input. I will check a bit more on Monday before breaking into the brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.