light bulbs not lasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

I did a kitchen remodel and the homeowner says the pendant light are going through a lot of bulbs. It's been about 3 mos and he says about 7 bulbs. All I can think is getting better 130v bulbs. Anyone have knowledge on this subject.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did a kitchen remodel and the homeowner says the pendant light are going through a lot of bulbs. It's been about 3 mos and he says about 7 bulbs. All I can think is getting better 130v bulbs. Anyone have knowledge on this subject.

That is exactly what he needs to do. If the power company voltages are up above 120v-- they usually are-- then 130v bulbs are necessary to prolong the life of the bulb

la2151

Hope i am not hijacking this?

Hope i am not hijacking this?

As we are talking about lamps? what experiences have others had with GE HID lamps. 150W MH lamps. do you have problems with them lasting? Tahnks

jimmyglen

Home Depot has "Maintenance packs" that are like 24 qty

and they are 130V

thats where I try to stear people

I always cringe when they try to make the bulbs burning out the electricians problem

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Once you have walked through the front door, EVERYTHING thats uses electricity and malfunctions will be your problem until they find another E/C.:)

satcom

Light Bulbs burning out can also be an indication of a serious electrical problems. not a good idea to just dismiss it to cheap bulbs.

Article 90.1

Keep this in your pocket; Generally speaking 130 v. lamps output less lumens than 120 v. lamps. And yes, it can be a significant difference. Much of the work we do in the high end residential market demands exacting lighting design, ie. color temperature, light levels, beam spread, etc. We bring a Pelican case full of various lamps on pre-instalation sales to show the customer/designers their options.

ohmhead

Well i think you need to look at wiring like a bad tap in a box or fixture socket but heres a option go to most bulb or lamp stores that just sell bulbs and lamps not your store on the corner ask for

TRAFFIC BULBS

These are the bulbs they used before leds started coming out they are the longest lasting bulbs ever not you everyday bulb and not much more in price .

They have a thicker glass heavy duty filment and the gas inside is a noble gas type not your standard argon .

They will last for many years i have them in my home we dont change out bulbs they dont burn out ever .

kyrpton gas is the gas its a natural white color

Last edited:

ohmhead

Well heres one more thing most electricians will never do it ever!!! but any bulb or lamp you install dont use your dirty hands on the glass on any lamp it will get a hot spot on that bulb or lamp always install with a clean rag or gloves they will last longer .

I will not get into the effects you might think its odd but its not .

You install it clean and its life time will be a better one and this is mostly hid or mh lamps but its a good practice on just your regular bulbs put on clean gloves and install .

TwinCitySparky

Well heres one more thing most electricians will never do it ever!!! but any bulb or lamp you install dont use your dirty hands on the glass on any lamp it will get a hot spot on that bulb or lamp always install with a clean rag or gloves they will last longer .

I will not get into the effects you might think its odd but its not .

You install it clean and its life time will be a better one and this is mostly hid or mh lamps but its a good practice on just your regular bulbs put on clean gloves and install .

Do you have any manufacturers information to substantiate this claim or is this based on your own experiences?

ohmhead

Do you have any manufacturers information to substantiate this claim or is this based on your own experiences?

Well if you read your instructions with the fixture its kinda never done but i learned this in electricians school .http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/S4_HID_Parnel_UL_User_Guide.pdf

If you get the oil from your hand meaning your finger print it will stay on the lamp glass this will create a hot spot heat will be more intense on that spot .

This was a basic rule install for us in the navy when it came to lamps clean it or burn it .[ Check out installing a lamp HID]

Nium

Cheap incandescent lamps are only rated for 1000 hours or less, double life are 2000+ hours. Have the homeowners make sure they are buying 2000+ hour lamps. Some lamps are even longer life then that. Aero-Tech makes incandescent lamps rated 20,000 hours.

Dimmers will help lamps last longer, even if not dimmed much.

Definately check voltage.

ohmhead

Well this is why it needs to be clean!

A lamp like a HID/ MV / SOD/HALO and such emits shortwave radiation at high temp .

If the oil from your fingers or any material on the lamp outer glass tubing , this light wave will be blocked meaning it now has no way to pass thur it heats the glass and a burn will be seen in the glass tubing in effected area .

But also it heats the lamp passed the temp rating glass will crack or elements burn up do to heat its a short life span .

pressure in lamp gas elements burn out and the glass can crack in the inner tube bad news for the lamp .

Heres how to increase a lamps life just a simple incadesent bulb reduce the lamps voltage dimmer or diode plug in socket but use a higher wattage lamp better element inside last longer to give you the same wattage you originally needed at a lower voltage. meaning use a 150 watt lamp reduce the voltage you get 60 watts of what you wanted and you have a lamp last 20 years .

Theres a lite bulb in a fire station thats been on for 107 years

And keep it clean it just might last longer than the factory says because there just thinking normal use not what i just told you .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.